What Do People Think About a Luxury Lodge in the Wilderness?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

What Do People Think About a Luxury Lodge in the Wilderness?

Post by rightstar76 »

There was an article today by Tom Stienstra in the San Francisco Chronicle about luxury lodging right next to the Kings Canyon backcountry.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... QG9M21.DTL

I was wondering what people's thoughts were about this.

Personally, I don't like staying in lodges when I'm in the mountains. At the Wuksachi in Lodgepole before a backpacking trip, I could barely sleep. Then when we finished our trip, we stayed at the John Muir Lodge near Wilsonia. I couldn't sleep that night either and just sat by the window and looked outside. I felt trapped in that room. Hey, I thought, if it's just like being at home in the city, why bother to drive all the way there just so you can feel like you've never left. The room is stuffier, after all, costs more money than to be at home, and the linens are sure a lot less comfortable. It's much better to just throw down a sleeping bag, a tent maybe if it's raining or buggy, and sleep outside.

What do other people think?
Last edited by rightstar76 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matilda
Topix Acquainted

Post by Matilda »

I stayed there last year (I'm an outdoors writer, so I had a good excuse for the expense) and I thought it was just fine. The food, as Stienstra wrote, is excellent and the tent cabins w/fluffy beds and high thread count sheets were a treat.
The lodge isn't in SNP, but on a private in-holding within the Sequoia Ntl. Monument--that's how the owner was able to build it (it was still apparently quite a rigorous approval process w/local govt agencies). It's all very tasteful and extremely unobtrusive. The location is remote (although it's barely walk-in with all the backroads in that area), and it certainly doesn't disturb surrounding wilderness/park areas.
Backpackers are going to see much more spectacular parts of the Sierra, no doubt about it. And those of us that log the trail miles and follow leave-no-trace wilderness ethics certainly can poo-poo such easy, if expensive, access. But if a stay at this camp gives people an appreciation of what they can see from the top of Mitchell Peak, I'm all for it.
I'll go back and treat myself to another night there whenever I manage to do a dream trans-Sierra trip through Kaweah Basin and Cloud Canyon. Then I'll really deserve my filet mignon.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Much like the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite...why not?
I realize that it is an opulent expense, affordable by only a few, but do not they have the same rights to the wilderness experience as us all. The High Sierra Camps also come to mind here.

I wish I had the free-expendable/ disposable income to afford places such as this...maybe someday, but that being said, as long as this establishment obeys the same codes of...non-pollution, environmental protection, etc.
Mountainman who swims with trout
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I agree with Markskor: if the place is environmentally friendly and does not visually intrude on the wilderness nor attract unwanted excess crowds to otherwise pristine areas, it is fine. So it is expensive and caters to those with lots of money--so do a lot of other businesses. If they pay their taxes, fine. The majority of the Sierra is still cheap for those of us who don't have the cash and most of it is still only available for us who choose to put on our boots. Personally I like the entire range of the Sierran experience from my klingon-like death marches to sleeping in a comfy bed, but I don't have that much money to spend. My "luxury" is more like Markskor's Big Sur. I'll cook the high end food and I can bring the good wine and a vastly higher end choice of beer than any luxury resort will ever provide.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haiwee
Founding Member

Post by Haiwee »

I don't make a habit of staying on lodges, but on occasion it's kind of fun. Although I met my wife on a backpacking trip she's not too keen on roughing it anymore, so a lodge or a cabin is about the only way I can get her into the mountains these days. And we stayed in the tent-cabins at Vermillion Resort a couple of years ago during our thru-hike of the John Muir Trail -- it was heaven to have showers and a soft bed for at least one day during the trip.
Check out my blog for my take on politics, environment and the outdoors: http://www.haiwee.blogspot.com
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

OK….. I have to confess that I usually stay at the Ahwahnee while visiting Yosemite Valley. It’s an indulgence that I thoroughly enjoy, albeit only occasionally.

The Valley can get really crazy during peak tourist season, but regardless of the numbers in the Valley, there is always a calm elegance about the Ahwahnee that is a balm to the spirit.

I love my backpacking trips; sleeping on the ground on the trail in a meadow all to myself is why I look forward to summers more than anything else. But I also love ballet, opera, …and the Ahwahnee. Yah, I’d probably stay at this new lodge at least once.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

That is nothing compared to the plans China has for Mt. Everest.

http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/17249.asp
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

This is one of those topics that I'm divided on. I recently watched a very good program the Grand Lodges of the greatest parks (or some such), and it was absolutely mesmerizing to think about one day staying at the Ahwanee, or other lodges I can't recall at this time that are exclusive and deep in the backcountry. On the other hand, I think that what it takes to get those lodges built are disgusting. I go to the backcountry to get away from people and civilization: the notion of these places is just abhorrent to me.

Populations are exploding exponentially across the world, and our wild places are vanishing. If we can't do something about the population, we MUST do something to protect the wild places.

(PS: I'm proudly republican. :) Thanks for listening. )
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Now Steve, surely you're not saying that you'd go to Yosemite Valley and then be disgusted by the Lodges and the number of people. If you're heading to the backcountry to get away from people and civilization, the last place you'd head to is the valley.

All of those grand old lodges were built in areas that had already been established and "civilized".... on the road with easy access. That was the key then, and still is. Yes, the population is exploding, but it is still a very small percentage of people that actually get into the "backcountry". The majority of people are happy just seeing it from the sidelines.

I'll tell you what disgusts me, and that's Curry Village. I've only stayed there twice (out of necessity... nothing else available). It's a slum with canvas cabins jammed as tight as possible. It's noisy and it's an eyesore. I think this is where people go when they want the "wilderness experience" but don't have a clue how to get it. And don't know how to act when they get there.

At the risk of sounding snobby.. I'll take the quiet elegance of the Ahwahnee any day. :)

PS, if something isn't done about global warming, clear-cutting the rain forests and wreckless industry here and abroad, I don't think the question of a Lodge coming into the Sierra is really going to be an issue. We are poisoning ourselves.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Actually, they are doing a pretty nice job. The tent cabins are pretty secluded and the only structure I guess you could call a lodge is a high ceiling open air dining area. Also blends in to the surroundings pretty good. From what i've seen, the food looks pretty good.

I guess ones perspective of what is "backcountry" is varied. I consider "backcountry" more like Humphrey or Dusy Basins or Tehipite.

You can drive to this place. Or, I can. If your a guest, I believe you might have to hike 1/4 mile or something. :eek:

I love the old "parkatecture", they do not build like that anymore. Love that Ahwanee dining room! And the Native American arts & crafts! And the Navajo Rugs! And the huge stone fireplaces.

Hey Rosie! :)