Big Agnes Q-Core

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
deenad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Big Agnes Q-Core

Post by deenad »

Hello everyone! So, we were on a two night backpack trip and my Big Agnes Q-core air mattress deflated all night. I have a friend that also had problems with this air mattress TWICE. I think I'm going to switch out to some other brand altogether. Does anyone have suggestions?
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Big Agnes Q-Core

Post by cslaght »

Have you looked for a pinhole leak? That was happening to mine and once it was patched, it worked. Not the funnest, but you may need to put it underwater to see if you can find bubbles. The pad should have come with a repair kit that is field ready.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Or... Call the company and tell them what is going on and maybe they send you a replacement. I've had all sorts of air mattresses deflate. Nothing sharp is allowed near, but I've had a really great experience with my Neoair. First one leaked a bit and Cascade designs flat out told me they had trouble with the seams on the first run, and they sent me a new one.

Friend had an older Thermarest where the housing around the inlet basically cracked. Shoe Goo and a zip tie and that lasted half the night, which was ok as we hiked out the next morning.

Could go back to that blue pad thinggy.. :)
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Everyone has problems with inflatable pads at some time or another. Submerge it in the tub and see if you can find the leak by locating where it either actively bubbles or where bubbles form on the surface of the pad. Q-Cores are notoriously thin and not too durable.

The NeoAir line has some great options, and Cascade Designs customer service and warranty dept is second to none in responding to and solving issues.

Sea to Summit is also starting to put out some nice, comfortable products, but they tend to be expensive and the dimpled surfaces collect grime and are hard to clean.

Nemo and REI are also coming out with some good products at good price points.

For the time being, you want to try to avoid anything with a speed valve (SV). Long on great theory, short on execution...tend to leak out slowly. Maybe in a couple more years they'll have it down.

All in all, I've been happiest with my older NeoAir All-Season and X-lite (no speed valves).

Did that help, or did I just add to the confusion? Choosing the right ground pad that does it all is a pain in the butt. I've shopped for cars and it's been easier to figure out and get exactly what I want.
deenad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by deenad »

Wow! Thank you everyone! Someone I know did recommend Sea to Summit. I really appreciate the time you all took to respond. I will post the outcome!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you start looking for a new pad, this may help: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/ca ... eeping-pad ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org