Parker/Koip/Gem/Donohue Pass loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shebmeister
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Parker/Koip/Gem/Donohue Pass loop

Post by shebmeister »

I want to do a loop hike of about 30-40 miles out of the Tuolumne area. We are looking at starting at Mono Pass trailhead, then do Parker/Koip/Gem Passes. Hike by 1000 Island Lake and return over Donohue Pass to Tuolumne. I have hiked from Tuolumne to Reds Meadows a long time ago and remember that area being very nice.

I am looking for feedback from anyone who's done the Parker/Koip/Gem portion of this trail.

My questions:
1) Is this a nice area?
2) Are there some nice spots to camp along the way (i.e. Marie Lakes)?
3) Places to avoid?

The Sheb
Last edited by shebmeister on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

I did this trip a few years ago. It was very nice, other than the climb from Parker Pass to Koip Pass (straight up through a very rocky/shale set of switchbacks). Camped the first night at Alger lakes (golden trout), then at the Marie Lakes TJ, then the last night in the Lyell canyon just below the Ireland Creek TJ.

I would avoid Gem and Waugh lakes as camping spots.

Not a bad hike, had quite a good time.

Mike
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Doing loop next weekend

Post by tory8411 »

I am doing a loop very similar next weekend the 6th-8th. we are going to come up Bloody Canyon and down to Gem to Silver. When's your trip? I can give you an update when I get back.
shebmeister
Topix Newbie

Post by shebmeister »

My trip is July 25 thru 28 (maybe 29).

Can't wait!
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

Two other things I forgot to mention. If you have only one car, you'll want to catch the shuttle from the Meadows up to Tioga Pass. We left our car at the Mono Pass trailhead parking lot, and picked up the shuttle the last day. If I was to do it again. I'd leave my car at the Meadows, and catch the shuttle to the trailhead. ( I believe the trailhead is about 5 miles and a 1000 ft climb from the Meadows, which wasn't what we wanted to finish the trip with).
Here's the schedule of the bus (from the Yosemite web site).

Leaves
Tuolumne Lodge Leaves Mono Pass Leaves Tioga Pass
9:00 am 9:10 am 9:15 am
Noon 12:10 pm 12:15 pm
3:00 pm 3:10 pm 3:15 pm
5:00 pm 5:10 pm 5:15 pm

Also, we missed the trail junction to Parker Pass, and ended up taking the use trail to Spillway Lake. Once the trail ended at the lake, we could see the pass to the east, and just hiked up the hill until we found the trail. If you want to stay on the trail, you'll need to pay more attention to the map than we did.

Hope you enjoy your trip.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Parker Pass Loop

Post by snusmumriken »

I posted almost this exact question as my first post early last year and got some nice responses. Ended up doing a TM to Mammoth instead, but covering much of the same country. The old thread is here viewtopic.php?t=358&highlight=parker .