Fire in Tahoe

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

The fire as of the last update is 55% contained, I guess Tuesday night a boulder had let loose and rolled and broke the hand of a fire fighter. The Governor was here yesterday, they are saying the start of the fire is in an area of some big boulders near Seneca pond & was human caused..but have not said as to how. They are very worried about the winds today..right now we have a very light wind

Yesterday most of the day they were again getting water out of our little Lake Baron & the next street from us KCRA TV in Sacramento were here filming....they talked to our neighbors about the fire...also had some footage of the forest here in the Meyers area showing some of the dead trees all down with residents being worried that the Forest Service is not clearing it away! It was kinda neat to see my neighborhood and neighbors talking on TV and recognizing homes..just wish it was in a more positive way.

Thank you again everyone! :nod: Lets hope the winds don't get to bad today!
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the update Anita. The recovery process is going to be difficult with that many homes lost in the area.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Re: Map of Fire Area

Post by mountaineer »

cmon4day wrote:Go to this website and click zoom down onto a map of the burn area

http://geomac.usgs.gov/viewer/viewer.htm

Vic
That is a great site! I found my good friends street and he ist still about 3/4 mile from the SE edge of the fire. He isn't answering his phone but that is due to the fact that he is a Capt. with the Lake Valley FD in Meyers...so he is kind of busy. :\

Here are numbers to call and check onthe status of homes in the area:

EVAC CENTER AT SLT RECREATION CENTER 530-542-6056

EVAC CENTER AT SLT SENIOR CENTER 530-542-6094

INQUIRIES ABOUT STATUS OF HOMES 530-541-4660 EXT 336 OR WWW-EDSO-ORG THEN ENTER STREET NAME AND NUMERICAL ADDRESS
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

ANITA! Hadn't heard back from you in a few days and was worried. Never thought to check here- duh. Glad you guys are okay. Sad stuff.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

80% contained, and getting better slowly. Just heard on TV news that the cause of the fire was a "warmth or cooking" fire started illegally. They (the fire investigators) didn't find any intentional cause. My heart goes out to those that have been affected by this tragic event, and hope they get something from the final finding on this.

I'd like to suggest that perhaps we, as a community, can come together with a constructive discussion on this issue, and try to provide a voice in what is sure to be a re-examination of the overall causes of this terrible fire in terms of forest management. There's another thread started by another poster here ("The politics of forest fires") regarding thoughts on forest management; perhaps we can add our own thoughts on this matter as a record of what an active community like ours things about this topic.

Edit: containment changed to 80%