suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
hiac
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park

Post by hiac »

Last August, I have done this 7-day backpacking:
Big Sandy TH -> Shadow Lake -> Pyramid Lake -> Ambush Peak, Mt Bonneville -> Haily Pass -> Baptiste Lake -> Grave Lake -> Valentine Lake -> South folk lake -> Lizard Head -> Lonesome lake -> Jackass pass -> Big Sandy Lake -> Big Sandy TH

Starting this Sunday, I have 9 day to explore the northern winds. part of the reason is to see eclipse. I rent a car from Denver and drive overnight this Saturday to Elkhart Park TH.

here is the **route**: http://imgur.com/a/LK13S

My plan is as follows. However I am open to other suggestion, for example, maybe 5 days in winds, then 4 days in Grand teton if I can get the permit..

Day 0 (this Saturday): arrive Denver 5pm. drive overnight toward Elkhart Park (about 7 hours), sleep in car somewhere

Day 1: Elkhart Park -> Island Lake, 10 miles
night1: Island Lake

Day 2: eclipse day
Island Lake to Titcomb Lakes
night 2: Titcomb Lakes
Question: is Titcomb Lakes a best shot for eclipse ?

Day 3: Titcomb Lakes -> Indian Basin -> Wall Lake
night 3: Wall lake

Day 4:Wall lake -> Cook Lakes -> Spider Lake
night 4: Spider Lake

after spider lake, i have two choice.
option 1: spider Lake -> cook pass -> lake 11065 -> upper golden lake -> Dennis Lake
basically I traver to big sandy, and hope can hitch hike back to Elkhart Park.

option 2:spider Lake -> cook pass -> lake 11065 -> lake 10787 -> camp lake -> Alpine Lakes

currently I lean toward option 2

day 5: option2
night 5: Alpine Lakes

day 6:
Alpine Lakes -> Alpine Lake pass -> indian pass -> Titcomb Basin
night 6: Titcomb Basin

day 7 Titcomb Basin -> Knapsack Col -> Shannon pass -> Lower jean Lake
night 7: Lower jean Lake
Question: should I camp at island lake instead?

day 8 Lower jean Lake -> Island Lake -> Elkhart Park

day 9 drive to Denver, afternoon 3:15pm flight out

Is this plan doable?
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park

Post by rlown »

States are trying to prevent a massive eclipse traffic jam

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.jpg
HOPKINSVILLE, Ky. - For months, state highway officials from 14 states have been meeting regularly via conference call to plan for - or more importantly try to head off-- what could be the largest traffic jam in U.S. history Monday, when an estimated 200 million people will be within a day's drive of the path of the first total solar eclipse in 99 years.

The roughly 70-mile-wide path of totality - where the moon will block 100 percent of the sun - stretches from Oregon to South Carolina.

In Oregon, where the totality begins at 10:16 a.m. at Depoe Bay, officials have ordered extra-wide-load trucks off the highways through Tuesday to ease congestion, and in Madras, which has been identified by many experts as one of prime viewing locations, the National Guard is being called in to help control traffic. The event ends 92 minutes later outside McClellanville, South Carolina, where the state is bracing for more than 1 million visitors.

"Basically we'd all be on the phone and we'd go west to east around the group in the conversation and compare notes and bring up concerns, and then a light bulb would go off in someone's head. And we basically kept doing that until we felt we were completely prepared," said Matt Hiebert, assistant director of communications at the Missouri Department of Transportation.

Hiebert, who chaired the task force of state highway officials, said they agreed on a common message and communication strategy to educate the public. One of the biggest concerns: motorists stopping on the interstate or shoulder to view the eclipse, which in addition to being a safety hazard would cause massive gridlock.

The Federal Highway Administration has asked states to suspend all road construction Monday to ease the flow of traffic. FHWA also is changing interstate dynamic message boards nationwide: A total solar eclipse is coming. The sky will get dark. The sun will appear to go away in the middle of the day. Do not slam on your breaks. Do not be afraid.

"We don't really know exactly how many might be out there driving around . . . but we know that there will likely be several million," said Martin Knopp, associate administrator for operations at FHWA.

In most states, it's an "all hands on deck" situation for highway workers and law enforcement and they will be out in force to both keep traffic moving and help motorists who might need assistance. From there, "each state works a little differently" Hiebert said.

Source: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/73223 ... to-prevent

Personal note: If you walk into your closet with the light off, that is what it might look like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hiac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hiac »

Kentucky?
hope traffic is not that bad in WY
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I don't know if you are going to get a lot of replies on this forum before you leave...on this subject.

But I did the first half of your trip last year and posted a trip report in the beyond the Sierra section. And I can tell you that the first half of your trip is entirely doable and very beautiful. I don't know about the second half and options..as the trip I did was the only one I have done there.

I hope you post your trip report!.