Fire in Tahoe

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

i was worried for all our Tahoe friends - somehow I missed this thread and was going to start one in AM . glad to know you are ok Anita. having lived nearby to two major Kennedy Meadows fires I can tell you that it is like a war zone. but it amazing how family, friends, and community pull together in these times.

and a heart cheer for the fire fighters out there battling the blaze - although it is there job - their life is out there on the line. always nice to say thanks and offer support in any way to assist.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I haven't heard back from her either. :(

Trailtrekker e-mailed and got a reply, but that was Sunday (or Mon morning?)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

I want to add my sympathy for everyone who has suffered a loss of their home or been affected in some other way by the Angora Fire at the Lake. Its terribly sad to see this, and it happened so fast on a day with particulary adverse conditions. Many of those interviewed on TV said they only had a very few minutes to grab things and run to get away. Our hearts and prayers go out to all of them.

For years, it had been my dream to live in the Sierra, and now that I do, I also worry about the "what if" of a wildfire. I love living among the pines, cedars, firs and oaks of the low montane forest, and we keep our place reasonably managed although we constantly battle against the buildup of ladder fuels. My big worry is that so much of the land around us is at greater risk. Much of it is private forest holdings that have not been cleared or managed, and all of that is beyond our control. Even neighboring property owners pose a risk when not attending to the obvious - - like the standing, dead fir just across our property line. I just hope I have good karma, and I wish everyone else the same!
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

You all are the very best! So kind and thoughtful...Thank you all so much for your concern.
It is nice to be part of this board and im glad it is here. :nod:

You all probably heard that yesterday the winds picked up and...I keep hearing different stories as to what happen..so not 100% sure..but pretty sure the fire fighters were working on a back fire line..and the wind blew a spark into a tree which went all the way to the top..and then blew off another spark across from the fire line..which then started a fire on the back of Gardner Mountain residential area..all of Gardner Mountain was evacuated & they say they lost 1 mile of fire line, two fire fighters when the fire started got trapped and had to use their safety tents to save their lives..they are okay!

For about three hours they were getting water out of our little Lake Baron here in Meyers to put out a spot fire that had started someplace close to the main fire area. They are investigating an area around Seneca Pond that they say may be where the fire started..this area no cars are allowed, there are just trails all over the area..we have been there a few times with our dogs.

This morning looking at the mountain it is a light smoky haze, no winds right now, but they are supposed to pickup this afternoon. :(

My friends son that I mention in my 1st post did loose his home...horrible I just can't imagine.
Thank you all so much again for your thoughts and kind words
Anita
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Anita -

ty so much for the update. most of the news we get here seems to agree with the report. they are reporting winds may pick up to 40mph this afternoon - let's hope that that it does not severly hamper the effort.

thoughts and prayers for your family and community.

Tom
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

The smoke is noticeable less today, I hope the crew last night made big progress on the fire.
Piece of cake.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Map of Fire Area

Post by cmon4day »

Go to this website and click zoom down onto a map of the burn area

http://geomac.usgs.gov/viewer/viewer.htm

Vic
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

There are a few home videos of the fire on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PADVVVxNoAI

It's kind of long, but amazing.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

As of this AM, news was reporting that the firelines were strengthened overnight, and it hadn't grown at all. The firefighters are doing a helluva job up there! Let's hope Ma Nature decides not to blow too hard today, and I'm sure they'll have this thing wrapped up in no time!