Going anywhere for the 2017 total solar eclipse?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Hillbasher
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Going anywhere for the 2017 total solar eclipse?

Post by Hillbasher »

Did my home work and came up with this as a possible site to watch the eclipse from. If you read up on it, you will see the need for stealth, but would think as long as one respects the land and leaves no trace, it might be a spectacular place to watch the eclipse from.

http://www.summitpost.org/olallie-butte/150600
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I wonder how many PCTers will be in the area at that time? I'd certainly try to time my hike for it. August 21 isn't terribly late for the Mt Jefferson area.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Whatever you do, if you're coming to Central Oregon make sure you're prepared. On the one hand, some people think that this is a bunch of overreacting. On the other hand - that whole article makes a lot of good points. Infrastructure around here is just not prepared to handle that number of people. Since this is now my backyard, I plan on 1) filling up my gas tank(s) ahead of time and 2) being several days into the backcountry by the time the eclipse happens (doing the Three Sisters loop starting the previous Friday).
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Hillbasher wrote:Did my home work and came up with this as a possible site to watch the eclipse from. If you read up on it, you will see the need for stealth, but would think as long as one respects the land and leaves no trace, it might be a spectacular place to watch the eclipse from.

http://www.summitpost.org/olallie-butte/150600
I suspect the tribe might be a little concerned this year about unauthorized travel in the res.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

On the final digit day countdown now. Since my post earlier in this thread have changed my plans from John Day NM to the city of Salem. Will likely start my road trip north Tuesday morning August 15 so the time is getting short. Will leave the serious moon/sun halo shots to those who have expensive telescopes and special gear. Otherwise I have come to the opinion that trying for an interesting landscape with the halo sun is not likely to be productive. Much like photographing a dim landscape with a dark thunderstorm cloud blocking the sun. Shaded landscapes simply look flat. The good total eclipse photos I've seen are shots over large bodies of water when the eclipse period is early in the morning with a low sun altitude allowing a telephoto lens. In Oregon it will be mid morning at 10:20 PDT with the sun altitude up at 40 degrees. Thus to include sun plus a landscape means a wide angle that is going to make the sun/moon small.

More important for this person is to experience the phenomenon that has not occurred across the USA in about a century that will probably be the only one during my lifetime. And like the notion of sharing the experience with lots of other people, a fun and exciting party.

At Williamette University across from the Salem state capitol there is going to a large gathering of solar scientists.

http://www.willamette.edu/175/events/si ... index.html

Special free overnight tenting at 13 Salem city parks:

"Because of the unique nature of this event, the City will allow people to set up a small tent, or roll out a sleeping bag/blanket in a park to save their viewing spot beginning the evening of August 19. All other park rules will still be enforced. High impact camping activities such as RV’s, trailers, vehicles in the grass, open fires, or digging pits are not allowed."

https://salemareaeclipse.info/2017/07/1 ... /#more-508

I am going to target setting up somewhere at these 3 downtown parks preferably Riverfront that is right near the capitol along the river:
Riverfront City Park
Bush's Pasture Park
Minto-Brown Island Park

Am going to try and hit the road Tuesday morning August 15 and maybe be up at the Crater Lake NP rim for sunrise Wednesday. Then will spend a couple mornings up near The Sisters before driving the rest of the way to Salem by mid day Friday. On the way back south will drive down the Oregon Coast then Highway 1. After returning will quickly prepare to get back out for a 9 or 10 day backpack at the end of August.

David
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Already at my campsite in Packwood, WA. From the map it looks like we will have about 95-97% here. Until then we will be hiking in Ranier, doing a little fishing, generally having a leisurely camp.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave S

Good call moving your site w. Friends report central Oregon very smoky now. Raining now in AK.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Indeed the satellite image today for Oregon looks more ominous than a week or so ago. Fires have now become a major factor Oregon eclipse visitors will need to monitor. Areas west of the Cascade crest range have no fires but have cloud concerns.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p ... 2669917754

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/state/38/0/

The Jones and Rebel fires west of The Sisters and spewing smoke there are expected to last well into September. Thus am going to need to adjust what had been my own plans leading up to the eclipse and that could include when I begin the drive north.

And the Whitewater and Nena Springs fires burning along the Cascade crest are both going to impact areas to the east for weeks including the Solarfest at Madras as well as my original target of at John Day Fossil NM. Further east towards Idaho shows more lightning fires smoking up the skies. Thus the best areas are indeed now looking to be west of the crest in the Williamette Valley including Salem. However now long term weather forecasts are rising with the current the 10-day weather forecast now showing next Sunday, the day before the eclipse to have some clouds with Monday morning mostly clear but again with some clouds about.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... y=salem+or

David
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Just returned from Sacramento to Elk Grove on I-5 south. Friday, 3:00 p.m. Traffic northbound into Sacramento on I-5 was heavy. Going through downtown was at a standstill.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Traffic near 99/80/50/5 is always a mess. It was my commute route. From petaluma to Sac sometimes took 4-5 hrs. HDTV coverage is good enough for this event.