Mosquitoes at Thousand Island area vs. Sabrina Basin?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mosquitoes at Thousand Island area vs. Sabrina Basin?

Post by mangomegan »

I see that the skeeters are really bad in the Sabrina Basin, thanks to a report in the conditions forum. We, unfortunately, were planning a trip to that area for DD's 11th birthday, leaving the 19th. Now rethinking that!

There are permits available for the Thousand Island Lake area, which is another trip on my to-do list.

Is there any way to know how the mosquitoes there might compare? I don't see any recent reports for that area in the forum...

Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mosquitoes at Thousand Island area vs. Sabrina Basin?

Post by maverick »

Don't let mosquitoes deter you from going where you want to go and see, better to learn how to deal with them properly: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... nce#p56699
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

You're right. Thanks for the perspective!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

You would be in the area 10 days after that report. I think you can expect the Sabrina mosquitoes will be somewhat reduced by then. I think you can also expect that they won't be entirely gone, so lots of good preparation can help. Hopefully they will be down from horrible to tolerable.

Thousand Island Lake is a pretty long trek for an 11 year old--especially if you try to make it there in a single day. I've taken my kids to both places and think of Sabrina Basin as friendlier for younger kids.

I can recommend a camping area in Sabrina Basin I used to reduce mosquitos when I was there with my kids. Go to Dingleberry and then head upstream. Before you get to the stepping stone crossing of the creek (within a hundred yards or so of the lake) veer left and up and you will find some flat spots in the granite that are higher than the stream, meadow, and lake, breezier, sunnier, and drier. They are open but well drained. Be prepared not to get all your stakes in the ground.
DSC01817.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Great--thanks for the tip!

I agree about the mileage. The Sabrina trip is just perfect for our needs right now, so going to make it work. I'm beyond thrilled that DD requested to go backpacking for her birthday, and want to make it as special as possible!
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cycleboy »

My wife and I are in a similar boat. Planning on Sabrina starting the 20th. Have been contemplating changing plan due not just to bugs but snow level. We intended on staying at Hungry Packer or Moonlight. Still on the fence about whether it'll be enjoyable or not.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Cycleboy: what do you know about the snow level in that area?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Hungry packer is very limited in camp sites. There is one right off of the trail on the left going up. Anything else is pretty iffy and a steep climb down and up for water. It took me a long time to find a spot for one two person tent.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Cycleboy
Topix Acquainted

Post by Cycleboy »

Mangomegan, I called White Mtn Ranger Stn in Bishop and their take was that Hungry Packer may have snow and the higher lakes would for sure (Echo, Sunset). I've been in that basin the past 4 years, so pretty familiar with the area. May still go for it and stay near Moonlight or Topsy Turvy. Then again I floated the idea of going somewhere tropical instead and my wife's eyes kinda lit up.
mangomegan
Topix Acquainted

Post by mangomegan »

Thanks for the info. I was going to call today.

We're hoping to stay at Sailor Lake and dayhike up higher--we'll see :)