Lookout Peak, little lakes valley 11902'

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Lookout Peak, little lakes valley 11902'

Post by ridgeline »

This was a fun little peak right next to Ruby Lake, class 11 with some fun easy class 111, pretty much the same from the north or south side. After the peak we went further south in the valley to scope out Abbot for a future date. Two of our party are new to the Sierra and I wanted to see if my knee was going to hold up, this was a perfect peak for both.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559605245JuSWCC
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice photos. I've never looked at Abbot close up from that angle. I presume you took those photos to ponder the route up Abbot. Just FYI, the angle you are looking at disguises the "exit" from the couloir making the route look nastier than it really is. Your photos show the snow in the couloir to be in prime condition--ie easily climbable. Note that in this low snowfall year the snow covering the ice will be gone much earlier than usual at which time the couloir becomes glazed black ice and one is forced to the rocks north of it much further down than one would like (very high 3rd class with lots of loose rock and one very hairy class 4 pitch) before you can reach the "exit" and breath a sigh of relief. The exit is rated several hundred feet 3rd class. I thought it was really just steep and rather scenic 2nd class back then, but after that super hairy lower detour I took it would be easy to see it that way. If the snow is in good shape, the only difficult part of the climb is the climactic knife edge just before reaching the summit plateau. The exit off of the couloir ends on the talus topped ridge which narrows (as you can see in your photos). Secor has all this detailed description regarding first you go this way, then you go that way stuff. This is needless. You will find there is only one 3rd class option as to the way to go (all other options are class 4 or worse)--the rock dictates your route. That knife edge section, west side ledge walk, and the final pull up onto the plateau is medium 3rd class with quite a bit of exposure.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

More Lookout Peak Pictures

Post by Trail Bud »

Hi All,
This was a much needed trip. It's been awhile since I made it out. Ridgeline with myself and two others had a good day out in the valley. We had a nice sunny day and just a breeze to keep cool most of the time. Lookout Peak was a fun and going back by Mt. Abbot to get a look filled out the day.
Here's the pictures:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5596 ... t=outdoors
Take care.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Gbrookie, thanks for the beta, its about what I was thinking, going to do this on the 22 of July. Looks like the loose crap getting up to the ridge might give some problems. I was trying to convince the others to do an overnight and give the Mountain enough time.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Trailbud, nice to see you finally made it out; I think ridgeline was having separation anxiety! :D I did my first trip this weekend; last year, at this time, I had done 2 snow camps in LLV (one with you guys) Telescope (again with you guys), a peak beside Longs in Rocky Mts., and a backpack on Mt. Rainier, and I was starting to get a little anxious about this year, so I know you must have been chomping at the bit! This time, while the real studs (Snowy and Tomcat) did Dragon, I did a nice hike up to Tyee Lakes and the top of Table Mountain on Sat. and then Sunday hiked up to Third Lake in Big Pine area while Snowy, Tomcat, and BobR and friends attempted Robinson near Sam Mack meadows. Hopefully the second half of the year will be more active. Maybe I'll actually get a summer trip up to LLV this year! :nod:
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Hey Trekker, did Tomcat, Snowy and bunch go out on Sunday for a dayhike to Robinson? Those bad asses, I told TrailBud they were doing something Sunday. Where is their trip report!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

ridgeline wrote:Hey Trekker, did Tomcat, Snowy and bunch go out on Sunday for a dayhike to Robinson? Those bad asses, I told TrailBud they were doing something Sunday. Where is their trip report!
after 20+ hours of weekend hiking - needed last night to catch up on sleep - it was busy at work and my butt was dragging come 3pm. all I could thnk about was rest when I got home. trips reports should start tonight

looks like LLV was some great hiking - was temped to join but prior commitments on the Bob R hike and of course Dragon which I thoroughly enjoy kept me further south. but maybe I can join on your next peak attempt in that area.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Glad to see you two got out again. I will check the pix tonight.

Trying to stay awake at work yesterday was a nightmare after getting home at 5:15am, and I was in bed early last night. I don't even know how many naps I took on the 4 hr drive home, but it somehow took 8 hrs and I was pretty trashed yesterday. Hopefully I'll catch up a little tonight.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

ridgeline wrote:Gbrookie, thanks for the beta, its about what I was thinking, going to do this on the 22 of July. Looks like the loose crap getting up to the ridge might give some problems. I was trying to convince the others to do an overnight and give the Mountain enough time.
The loose stuff you're referring to I'd guess is the fairly long ascent from the couloir to the ridge top, the stuff I referred to as "steep class 2". I don't recall it being unusually loose. It is much more sound than stuff you'll encounter in the Ritter Range or Kaweahs. I remember thinking that part of the route was rather cool because it was so steep and you could look down on the route, yet there were all these little ramps and things so that it was seldom exposed. I remember following a zig zag network of benches and use trails across various mini spurs and gullies and stuff. I don't recall me and my climbing buddy ever doing the "one at a time, stay out of the line of fire" protocol on that section, either. The upper knife edge section, by the way, is very solid rock with reliable trustworthy holds. Regarding overnighting, I would certainly advise doing so and choosing a camping spot the slices into the hiking time, for it is a reasonably long dayhike from the trailhead. Whatever approach you take, note that the moraine junk under Abbot and Dade can be rather loose. At one point I "surfed" on a sliding van size boulder (as a crazy 18 year old I was amused rather than concerned), while traversing to the north couloir route on Abbot after climbing Dade.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Ridgeline & Trail Bud...very beautiful pictures! I love that area, it's so spectacular all the high peaks you see. Ruby Lake is really a gorgeous place! :nod:
Thank you for posting..looks like you all had a very nice day!