Fire in Tahoe

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Fire in Tahoe

Post by Shawn »

With the fire blazing in Tahoe, and the loss of so many homes, I have begun to wonder and worry about some HST board members in the area?

Does anyone have any info from anyone up there (e.g. MiT?).
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I was thinking the same thing Shawn. Anita lives right in that area where the fire is. I tried to email her this morning, but I got a message back that the email didn't go through.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the info Kathy, hopefully she's okay.

I just looked at a map of the affected area and was a bit amazed to see the size of the affected area.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Shawn & Kathy...thnak you so much!

This morning they had over the TV for people in the Meyers area which is where we live to be ready to evacuate just in case. So far we are okay here...and I think we will be okay unless we get bad winds and they shift...they are worried about embers which have started spot fires.

Last night we could see flames which were burning below Echo Peak on the down slope which is a very steep slope..and looking towards Tallac all we saw was a bright red glow..both which were very very scary to witness.
The winds were bad yesterday when it started, but seemed to calm down in the later afternoon.
This area where the fire is at is in a very dense heavy forested area..a lot of trees and dead fuel.

We know 9 people that live in the main fire area..we are very worried about them...Mule Deer Circle one of the streets where a lot of homes have burned..we have a friend that lives on that street and are wondering and worried. My friend's son was evacuated and when he was leaving the home across the street was burning..this was yesterday!

They were dropping fire retardant on streets and homes to try to save them yesterday. Right now it is very smoky and there is little floating ash...looks like a high overcast here...can smell the smoke
This is what I know as of a few minutes ago
240 homes destroyed
2500 acres
700 firefighters are working the fire
Two fire trucks have burned
250 to 500 homes are threatened
It is now a Federal Disaster area
The live footage we have seen on the TV of the streets are horrible..it looks like a war zone..horrible and very sad this fire is...They say it was man made...but do not know how yet.
No one can enter the basin...all roads closed.

I can't think of anything else at this time...we will be ready to leave with our two dogs if we need to..but hopefully that will not happen.
My heart goes out to the ones that have lost their homes to this horrible fire!
Thank you very much for your concern..I will try to keep you all posted!
Anita...............Kerstin which also lives here...we were both on Pyramid Peak on Saturday looking at a crystal clear view of Tahoe...very sad
SierraVisions
Founding Member

Post by SierraVisions »

Hey Shawn,
Can you post a link to the map you saw. The one I saw was really hard to read.
Steven
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

How very sad for the people that have lost their homes. We've been getting a lot of the coverage up here; I had heard that they suspected it was man-made... but it's too early to tell whether it was intentional or not.

Best wishes to you, Anita.... stay safe.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Came across this for those interested: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/maps/large/725/0/

I'd like to add my best wishes to those of you in the fire area. Stay safe!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Holler if you need help Anita, thanks for the link Steve. I thought last night that the tv mentioning Camp Richardson and the High School being threatened didn't make sense. I see from the map that it burned towards the Camp and spread out consuming the homes and getting close to the HS and structures to the south. Man, the smoke down here was sure thick looking towards the south and to the east, it wasn't getting diluted by the wind until this morning.
Piece of cake.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Whew, sure glad you're okay Anita. Hopefully Kerstin and others are doing alright too. Sure sorry to see about all of the damage done.

When I was driving to work this morning I heard a few radio reports about the fire, but the reports didn't have much info. I talked to a friend about the fire after arriving at work, and he sent me the map which Steve B. provided the link (is that the one you found hard to read Steven - it's not the best).

Anyway, I got to thinking about Kathy's recent trip up there and seeing some photo's from a TR or two.....well anyhow thanks for letting us know your status.

Without a doubt we are all sending good karma your way.
:)
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Anita - I'm glad to hear that you and Kerstin are okay. It sounds like a scary situation up there. I got worried when my email was undeliverable this morning, but it's nice to know that it was just the sender's (my) error and you are okay.

Kathy