The Road Less Traveled: Montana - A Fish Report

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Road Less Traveled: Montana - A Fish Report

Post by Harlen »

Really fine, nicely written report, and thanks for throwing in the wildlife-other-than-fish pics.
Are you following some accepted real fishermen's standard way to hold and photo your fish? If we did that our little brookies would disappear! Here's how we photo a fish Dave, and it makes us feel better about what we've caught- you should try it (but don't tell anybody).
DSC01008.JPG
Not a bad fish, but if the boy would learn to extend his arms that fish would be a real lunker!

DSC00801.JPG
There, that's how it should be done; now you can see that this fish is longer than my big son's shoulders, and almost as think as his head!- so it must be about 25", and 4 or 5 lbs.
Glad to help, Harlen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

Harlen wrote:Really fine, nicely written report, and thanks for throwing in the wildlife-other-than-fish pics.
Are you following some accepted real fishermen's standard way to hold and photo your fish? If we did that our little brookies would disappear! Here's how we photo a fish Dave, and it makes us feel better about what we've caught- you should try it (but don't tell anybody). There, that's how it should be done; now you can see that this fish is longer than my big son's shoulders, and almost as think as his head!- so it must be about 25", and 4 or 5 lbs.
Glad to help, Harlen.
I hold the fish in my net until I am ready to take a photo, then I reach in, wet my hand, and then gently cradle the fish with one hand, fire off a few pictures, put the fish back in the stream, revive it until it swims off strong on its own. I would use the two hand technique if I had a third arm and hand. I'm alone, so the one handed technique is my only option.

I'm aware of the fly fishing guide technique where you hold the fish out at arms' length to make it appear larger, but I use the excuse that my hands are absolutely huge and out of proportion with the rest of my body! ;) :lol:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

We appreciate the care you take with your fish Dave. Note that we eat all but the smallest fish we catch, so our only charitable act is to express our gratitude to the fish, and to put them out of their misery quickly.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.