Good 2-man that can be used for a solo hike Tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
tory8411
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Good 2-man that can be used for a solo hike Tent

Post by tory8411 »

I'm looking for a good 2-man tent that is light enough (4lbs max) for a solo trip. My friend with a lot of experience swears by Black Diamond even though it is single-walled. He said he doesn't have any condensation problems or leaks. I've been looking at several BD tents, the BigAgnes Seedhouse Superlight, and the Sierra Designs Lightning. Do any of you have any suggesstions or favorites? Thanks in advance.
michaeljf
Topix Novice

Post by michaeljf »

I have a SD Lightning that I use solo. I've only used a couple of times, and haven't gotten rained on yet, but so far I like it. Condensation wasn't a problem. I flop around a lot when I "sleep" (actually not much sleeping, lots of flopping) and a two-man tent gives me room for that, plus I like the centered entrance & headroom vs. my old North Face end-loading tent. Mine weighs about 5 pounds though, above your 4 ib. limit.
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sharp Rock »

Tory,

I have a discontinued BA Sarvis SL1 (non Event type), which I realize is not the type your looking at, but wanted to chime in on BA in general. First off, I want to say I LOVE my BA tent. It even came with "quality" aluminum stakes, and the guylines (with tensioners) aready tied to the tent. I like the construction, design, materials, and the way it pitches. BUT, having the door on the end is not convenient. I'm pretty sure this saves weight with a shorter zipper. This isn't a problem for me, but you might want to give it some thought. I read a tent review on the Seedhouse, where the tester was in a downpour, and had to get up to, well, you know... , in the middle of the night. He managed to soak the head area of his bag and pad. When you open the fly up most of the way, the door is right under it, so the rain just comes on through. With some planning, he could have moved his bag and pad back from the door. But his need was great, and he made haste. :eek: When I had my tent out a few weeks back, I noted how this could be an issue I will plan for.

Side doors are very nice, but really do up the weight. Look at the new Emerald Mountain Series by BA. It has side doors, but there goes the weight!

http://bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?id=em2

It's always a trade off getting the features you want without to much weight. My tent is perfect for me and doggie. I hope you find your perfect tent.

Jerry
freeride21a
Topix Novice

Post by freeride21a »

I use my MSR fling two person tent for solos as well. It is single wall, but has LOTS of ventilation. It is a free standing hoop tent, but you have the option of leaving out the ridge pole and saving some weight.

MSR FLING

its ROOMY too!
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sharp Rock »

freeride21a wrote:its ROOMY too!
WOW! That thing looks HUGE! :lol:

And minimum weight just over 3 pounds. Amazing!
Jack Straw
Founding Member

Post by Jack Straw »

I use a Tarptent Squall 2 and like it quite a lot. It weighs in at 2 lbs. using a trekking pole for support. My only complaint is condensation when using as a 2 man. When I'm on my own and situated in the center of the tent it's not a big issue.
http://www.tarptent.com/index.html
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will!
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

Thanks

Post by tory8411 »

Thanks for all of your feedback. I decided to go with the Black Diamond Hilight at 2'10" without the vestibule. My good friend swears there's no condensation issues so hope he's right. At cost per ounce it was the second best. I appreciate all of your help and will let you know what I think after July 8th!!

Tory
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I got the Hilight this Spring, I'm disappointed in its weight. 3 1/2 lbs. is more than I wanted, but it is lighter than my summer tent which I have used for winter camping. The Hilight will be used for Fall and Winter camping, my floorless Squall at 1 1/2 lbs. for Summer camping. Just money.
Piece of cake.
tory8411
Topix Acquainted

weight and size

Post by tory8411 »

HD,
I just got it and set it up in the house last night. I was a little disappointed in the length. It seems a bit short, but, that is without stakes. As a laid on the floor of the tent and outstretched my arms into the corners, the florr seemed to spread out to comfortable range. What has been your exp? Also, the weight, brand new, with seam sealer and everything mine weiged 3'5". I figure with removal of large tag, no bags and stakes I can get it under 3'. Why do you think yours was 3'8"?
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I have a scale which I weighted it on. :unibrow: Another point, it seemed (seamed) to take forever to seam seal. If you are careful, you can almost get the supplied seam sealer to seal everything. It was started to hurt my fingers using the scringe for so long sealing up everything in sight, but I have some problem with my thumbs from handling oak firewood anyway. With the weight, very lengthy amount of time to seam seal and wrestling it on the floor to insert the poles into the corner grommets I would get something else. I am saving it to use this Fall on a trip in Oct. I liked the BA Seedhouse I saw on a group trip a couple weeks ago, I didn't study it too much, but another member of a group I belong to and have bped with has a Seedhouse and likes it. I know from personal observations that the BD tents like the Hilight and related tents hold up well to heavy snow and high wind. Maybe the wind and steep walls help shed the snow. Not that I go out into a storm that much. Once in what 20 years or so maybe.
Piece of cake.