Newfoundland May 20-25, 2017

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Newfoundland May 20-25, 2017

Post by giantbrookie »

Newfoundland weathers very hard winters, but late May is apparently usually very nice. It was for this reason that a grand geologic field trip was planned there. Although expensive by the standards of such field trips, this was a can't miss field trip for someone of my research interests. The trip was led by my friend Cees van Staal (Geological Survey of Canada, retired) who has taken plate tectonic analysis of the rock record to another level, with his pivotal region being the Newfoundland exposures of the northern Appalachians. In other words, I went along to see some iconic geology and also learn how I can improve my game in western North America.

Anyhow Newfoundland was buffeted by some pretty strong storms during the first two days of the trip that brought some driving snow and led to the cancellation of certain field trip stops (buried under snow or access roads blocked) and addition of "alternative" stops. As a native Californian, this weather was pretty fierce, but my cold and foul weather gear held up well. I had never seen sea ice before and there was lots of it. It is usually long gone by this time of year. On the day after the field trip I did a tiny little hike to the top of a hill overlooking St John's. Although the weather had improved by then, it was still super windy and chilly (probably about 33-34F).

Some photos:
6047snowingmore.jpg
6049ThroughSnowToBaieVerte.jpg
IMG_0085Stop1low.jpg
6061Birchy.jpg
6088Iceberg.jpg
6106seaice.jpg
GroupPhoto1OriginalLowCR.jpg
6133Twillingatefromroom.jpg
6163Besticeberg.jpg
6166StJohnsoverview.jpg
6161coastline.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Newfoundland May 20-25, 2017

Post by Harlen »

Glad you got away for some travels abroad. Cheers!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Neat looking area, thanks for sharing. I was hoping to see pictures of some trophy brookies though!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

For some reason I dislike Ireland and Scotland.. Oh yeah, my bosses were from those areas, when they laid me off; and 15 of my US friends to be legal about it.

Nice report GB..
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

windknot wrote:Neat looking area, thanks for sharing. I was hoping to see pictures of some trophy brookies though!
I couldn't help but wonder about fishing prospects in all of glacial lakes I saw, as well as the streams (running super high at the time, though, because of the snowmelt). Every now and then I'd see someone fishing in one of those lakes but was not close enough to see how they did or what they caught. Given that I have thoughts of returning here for research someday, I checked on fishing regulations in Newfoundland. It turns out fishing for non-residents is really limited. The only areas a non-resident is permitted to fish are within a very short distance of certain major highways, otherwise one has to be accompanied by a professional guide or a relative who is a resident of Newfoundland.... or something like that. The bottom line is that I'll bet there is some really good fishing to be had, but if I go back there to do research someday the fishing potential is not likely to be a distraction (sadly).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Why would you ever want to return GB? Isn't it just a lot of 2 billion year old straight craton? Pretty dull stuff for you I reckon. We thought you liked your geologic formations blended and stirred.... and then spilled, and scraped into a pile onto the floor! :)
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

Harlen wrote:Why would you ever want to return GB? Isn't it just a lot of 2 billion year old straight craton? Pretty dull stuff for you I reckon. :)
Actually Newfoundland is special because it is primarily a collage of units assembled during the development of the Appalachians and whereas there are little slivers of older rock, most of the rocks there are <600 million years old and there are many of the things that make enthusiasts of intricate geology happy: mélanges, subduction complexes, ophiolites, high-pressure metamorphic rocks, but all with an "Appalachian" flavor where things have been mashed by the terminal collision of continents (prior to opening of the Atlantic), whereas western North America's analogous belts (North American Cordillera) haven't suffered from the last crunch. Anyhow, Newfoundland provides the very finest of Appalachian geology and researchers there have set a standard in studying the assembly of mountain belts that, in my opinion, is way ahead of the other regional research communities of the world. It serves as motivation as well as a source of learning for someone like me who would like to help research in the North American Cordillera "catch up" to the level of that done in the Appalachians (OK, for me 'catching up' is not good enough); they've been in the lead now for some 20+ years. Although I think researchers in Newfoundland are way ahead of the curve, the fact that they've nailed down some things better than anywhere else also opens up unique opportunities to test certain theories on plate tectonic processes that haven't been done there yet, as well as develop new ones. And, of course, there are some things I can contribute from my specific experience in California (subduction interface and mélange stuff). Hence my wish to return.

Bummer about the non-resident fishing situation, though, as well as the comparative shortage of hops (for a West Coast person) in their beer, although the Yellowbelly brewery of St John's is quite acceptable. But that all is good for me to get work done--fewer distractions. But my return to the geology of Newfoundland is a bit back in the queue of bucket list stuff for international field work. First will be parts of Japan and Taiwan (scheduled for September) where I will look at things that are kinda Franciscan-like except more screwed up, with much worse exposure than coastal California (covered with even denser vegetation).
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the update and information re. East Coast geology- we wrongly assumed you were traveling amid the old Canandian Shield geologic province. We really value any geologic insights you can provide; for us geology is a hugely important facet of deepening our understanding and appreciation of mountain country. Thanks a lot GB.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Watch out for those Canadians. You do know that over 90% of them live within 50 miles of the US border.

I think those people are getting ready to INVADE!

:) :nod: :eek: :D :D

JMHO,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.