Family tent

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
efinley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Family tent

Post by efinley »

So I thought I had this one solved, but I was wrong. :) As I mentioned in another thread my family of 4 (7 and 9 kids) is getting into backpacking after a long hiatus from the parents. I ordered a REI half dome 4 tent and it turns out it is too small for us. The catch here is that I'm 6'9" so I have to sleep the "wrong" way to fit in the tent. It is listed at 94x86 but I find those numbers highly suspect... As my kids grow I expect they'll be tall too so I'm thinking I need a 5 person tent to hold us all, however I'm having a really tough time finding a 5 person tent under 15 lbs. The half dome is only 7, I could carry 2 of them for that same weight. The obvious answer seems to be just get 2 smaller tents but I think these trips, especially when the kids are younger would work better if we were all in 1 tent.

So does anyone have any great ideas on 5 person tents or big 4 person?

I should add that for our first trip (this weekend) I'm simply going to lug our old REI basecamp 4 car camping tent. Its a relatively short hike so I should be OK.
:)

Thanks,
Eric
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Family tent

Post by rlown »

2 tents (your wife will hate me for that because she gets to carry one, but a double rainbow tarptent only weighs 41 oz.) .. One that holds 3 and the other holds 2. The tent that holds 3 is the "meeting" place for cards/cribbage or whatever, and then 2 can go to the other tent at bed time. Breaks up the weight as well. You in one, wife in the other, with the kids as dispersed as you desire.

Even at 7 and 9, I think the kids would get the situation.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

What the other Russ said....take 2 tents.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

If a 4-person tent would work, there's the "Papa Hubba" from MSR. I have the 2-person version, and it's been great. The reviews for the 4-person are all excellent.

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/papa-hubb ... viewHeader

https://www.rei.com/product/863098/msr- ... erson-tent
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

while a 4 person tent sounds cool, in 5-6 years, the kids will want to be in their own tent. Hence the two tent option as the family ages.
efinley
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by efinley »

Well that certainly isn't what I wanted to hear. :) I do appreciate the feedback though. Now I just need to find some trekking poles that fit me since most of these super light tents seem to use them as the tent poles too! :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

tarp tent that i use (double rainbow) doesn't require the use of trekking poles. They can be used optionally as spreaders on the front and back if on rock. That has never been a problem.

An example: http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html
Lots of ventilation (less condensation), lots of room, low weight, and good storm protection. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

The 6'9" certainly doesn't factor into most sizing of tents. I think there may be a model under the brand name Alps (forget which specific model) that has a 96 x 96" floor and is a really easy pitch because it's a simple giant sized 2-pole dome. This is what I use with my family. I'm not a power forward but a smallish point guard at a hair below 5'11" and my family is pretty small, too (wife 5'1", 15 yr old son 5'4", and 11 yr daughter at I think 4'8" or so), but there is a ton of extra room. I have ample room fore and aft (of me when I'm lying down in my bag) and commonly pile gear on the head side and foot side. Moreover the width is enormous so all four of us have ample elbow room too. I'm pretty sure this tent we have would comfortable sleep 4 tall and large folks. Anyhow I recall purchasing this tent from REI Outlet many years ago, so whether they still make these or an update of them, I don't know.

I think kids really like all being in the same tent in contrast to being in two, which is what I recall from my childhood days when the family backpacked. The weight of the tent I pack is not atrocious either--I recall it's supposed to be somewhere in the 8.5lb range. I'm the family pack mule and I don't mind carrying it for everyone (along with a lot of other things). It certainly makes the family happy to be all cozy in one tent.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

A 4-person pyramid or tipi would work well. The classic example is Black Diamond's Mega Light. Pair it with their Mega Bug Tent insert for full ground and bug protection.

I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.