7/12 Missing Persons Alert: Father & Son (Resolved)

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

7/12 Missing Persons Alert: Father & Son (Resolved)

Post by maverick »

Info as of now:

Wife wrote:
Hi there,
I don't mean to alarm anyone but my son (8yrs.old) and my husband were supposed to be home yesterday. They may have needed to stay an extra day, but I haven't heard from them. Does anyone know or has anyone seen a man traveling with his blonde haired, eight year old son? My husband has long hair and wears it in a ponytail. At what point do I start to get nervous? Thanks!!
Wife wrote:
My husband and son are both named Marty. They went to the Whitney Portal on Monday and then off to Whitney.
Whitney Forum Member wrote:
I did see a man with a boy around 8 just before Trailside Meadow at around 9.30 or 10am yesterday. They started to walk up the direct snow path to trail camp but then stopped and sat on a rock, presumably to eat, drink. I was headed down at that time.
I think the man had a camouflaged style backpack and the boy a small backpack.
Wife wrote:
That was him. Good to know. Thanks.
Wife wrote:
I haven't heard anything yet. If anyone else sees or hears them, please let them know that they need to contact me on my cell. I contacted the ranger station and they told me to contact the sheriff. So the sheriff is keeping his eyes open for them. Both Marty's went up Monday night and spent the night at the Portal Hostel. They began their hike on Tuesday. They were only supposed to camp Tuesday night and come home Wednesday. I'm hoping the trail put them behind, causing them to stay an extra night somewhere. I will for sure keep you and everyone posted. Thanks for asking!
-Kacie
http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... 8#Post5088
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 7/12 Missing Persons Alert: Father & Son Mt. Whitney

Post by maverick »

Kacie (Wife/Mother) wrote:
I actually just heard from them. They had to stay an extra night because they were caught in a storm and our son had altitude sickness:( They are safe down the mountain now. Thanks everyone!!!!!
:nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org