Kearsarge Pass Updates

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
apenn1
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Kearsarge Pass Updates

Post by apenn1 »

Anyone hiked up and over Kearsarge Pass or in that zone recently? The last forest service update is from June 19, 2017. We are set to resupply a friend who is on the JMT journey and we are hitting the trail Friday. Onion Valley Road seems to be reopened from flooding, although the campground is still closed. Thanks!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kearsarge Pass Updates

Post by maverick »

Hi Apenn1,
Welcome to HST!
Inyo NF Reports, as of 2 July: Snow levels starts at 10.5K, worn trail over pass by previous PCTers and hikers.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Onion Valley CG is closed if overnighting prior to hitting the trail.
Gray's Meadow is open at 6K elevation though.
Anyone know if you can disperse camp somehow up near the trailhead to get more pre-trip elevation?
Summer
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Summer »

I just called the White Mountain Ranger Station today, and they gave the update that the snow line was up around 11,000' and melting well. \:D/