Grinnell-Hopkins ridge

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Grinnell-Hopkins ridge

Post by cgundersen »

TITLE: Grinnell-Hopkins ridge

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This is a class 2 alternative to Grinnell Col to connect the Grinnell Lake area with Hopkins Basin

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

ELEVATION:
11,650 ft

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Abbott

HST Map: HST Map

This route is a relatively "easy" alternative to Grinnell col for transit between Hopkins and Grinnell basins (I've never done the former, but it looks appreciably more challenging than this route both on the map and from what I've seen in ascending this hillside). To reach the starting point of the ascent from the west side, you need to work your way over to the prominent peninsula that juts into the southeast segment of Grinnell Lake. From there, it's just a long slog to the ridge with ample opportunity to switch back and forth between the gravel/boulders in the chute and the vegetation on the south side of the chute. The footing is solid and there's nothing tricky about this approach; just make sure to have some water, because it's a long way down to get refreshments on the other side. That said, once you reach the ridge, it's a broad, gentle plateau. The Hopkins side has plenty of stretches of marble-sized gravel that can make for a "dry-skiing" descent. Obviously, if you're coming up from Hopkins, you'll want to aim for firmer ground. Either way, it's a pretty easy stroll from the Hopkins side. Here are a few photos. I may be able to dig out additional shots from an early season trip, later.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cgundersen on Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Grinnell-Hopkins ridge

Post by cgundersen »

Here are the additional photos looking down the Hopkins side and looking back up from Hopkins basin to the low point of the ridge:
A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I would not describe your route as "easy" or not tricky though indeed looks from below to just be difficult class 2 if one chooses a good route. From below I could see plenty of ways someone could find themselves into class 3. The ridge line crossing is at these cross hairs.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.46577,-118.84351&z=15&t=T

Very much a class 3 slope gradient however there are a lot of whitebark pines on that face one can make use of. I have several telephotos of that slope.
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Isn't the crossing Cameron's describing at the "A" on this map?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.46577,-118.84351&z=15&t=T
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi gents,
This may be superfluous, but the "easy" comment was relative to Grinnell col, which to me looked to be a more-challenging route than this one. But, I've never done the col, so I cannot confirm that hunch. What I do know is that regardless of what the topo map shows, there is no part of that climb that requires hand holds for safety/stability. Sure, the trees do make it easier in places, and they're nice for a breather. And, this does offer a great way to get into or out of Hopkins basin. Cameron
Last edited by cgundersen on Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

I'd put this in solid class 2 - we didn't need to hold on to any trees. Near the top of the Grinnell side there is a wall of talus that'd be class 3 if you just walked into it, but it's easily bypassed. That said I do think it's better done Grinnell to Hopkins vs the other way around, and it's not a great choice for someone's first pass. Grinnell Col looks terrifying (though everything flattens with distance into a vertical wall) and this was surprisingly pleasant.

We improvised a different approach on the grinnel side that avoided the bottom ~third of the chute while eating some bars near the outlet and eyeing the route (hey that should work, and less slog). From the outlet we did a climbing traverse up broken slab to a grassy vertical ramp, took that up until it dead ended then cut along the bottom of some white slabs dropping down the mountain, went up them (if wet, just stay on the bottom then go up around the little drainage) and easily wound through some talus to an amazing ledge I hoped was behind the line of bushes traversing the slope. We stayed high on slab instead of dropping along with the ledge as it hits the chute and ended up bypassing the lower section as well as taking a more direct route. Some of the slabwork feels a bit exposed, but you could stay a little low and choose more conservative lines.

From there it was some surprisingly solid sandy switchbacking for the third, then a sloggy final third going into the bushes only to avoid the little talus band just below the saddle. We stayed south but that's because we were on that side. All the rocks you'd hope were stable were, the smaller ones that weren't you could avoid.

California Fish & Game had an IR animal tracking video box on top of the wide saddle - if they can do it, so can you!

The hopkins drop is pretty easy boot skiing to avoid rocks to a delightful little meadow with a surprisingly well flowing stream for this year (we packed up a bunch of water expecting to have to drop to the valley floor to fill up). We stayed high above it and just met it before the willow infested drop to the valley floor. Staying south again worked well through this maze, and we exited without having to bushbash.

IMG_2227.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 5.27.06 PM.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg