Dragon Peak (12,995') and Woolyback (12,840')

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Tom:

It looks like you and Rachel had a nice climb up Dragons. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I'm going to give that one a try eventually, but I know that class 3/4 section is going to scare me.

Kathy
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

thanks Kathy -
go with someone who has done the peak - going with confidence makes all the difference. Sierragator and I did it with a friend who wanted to be roped - problem was he brought too short of a rope. so Sierragator and I put him betweeen us and played the rope pass game to keep him on belay while actually making the moves. that crack is actually much wider than it appears - but it gives great camera angle shots - who am I to argue with optics
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

I'm with Kathy on this one. Looks like a blast from the photos, it's on "the list". Thanks tomcat.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Tom...Beautiful pictures....I remember seeing Dragon from Rae Lakes years ago..my friend was so fascinated with the peak. It looks like a pretty fun hike....but im not sure about that ledge :eek: :eek: ..seems like you would want to be wearing very skinny rock climbing shoes for that section.
Looks like you two had a very nice day out there :nod:
Thank you for posting!
Alpenbro
Topix Novice

Post by Alpenbro »

wow that was cool, awesome pics! Thanks to your post I learned what a "gendarme" is.

and yes this is my first post, no more lurking.. :cool:
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Saturday June 23,2007 - Snow Nymph had expressed an interest in doing this peak so I let her talk me into going back up even though I had just been up there 2 weeks ago.

good to see Trekker again - he was at the trail head to wish us well(and to suck some good hiking karma from us). there was a large group from the Sierra Club doing an overnight to University Peak. I tried to convince them to tag Independence on Saturday since they were staying at Robinson Lake - but they just kept staring at me like I was speaking Chineese. along the trail we met Guy - he was taking his son up ther Golden Trout Lakes to teach him the art of fishing(Kudos to doing a good job on the Dad thing).

the drainage from Dragon's ridgeline route down to DM Lake had most of it's snow melted out from just 2 weeks ago. we only got one good glisade run down instead of 5 all the way to the bottom. Spring conditions are gone.

the ridgeline is now full of Sky Pilot in bloom. fantastic views from Dragon's summit in all directions. the ridge line to summit is nice class III with an awsome finish. I enjoy doing this peak at least once a year. great company hiking with Snow Nymph again - it has been awhile since we bagged a peak together.

pictures again - note the difference from 2 weeks ago:
http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/3059005#166653088

mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Saturday, 23 June 2007 (day 1 of 2)
Onion Valley (9,200') to Dragon Peak (12,995')

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/3065128#167119552

Tomcat and Snow Nymph dayclimbed Dragon Peak (12,995' from Onion Valley (9,200') This was my 2nd time and his 7th.

Sunday we attempted Robinson Peak. Photos when I get back in 10 days! Leaving for the Sierra in the next hour!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;