SEKI Roaring River Campsite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bryanalban
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

SEKI Roaring River Campsite

Post by bryanalban »

Just thought someone out there might have some advice for me.

Going to be hiking onto Roaring River (Ranger Station) and camping for a few days.

I was wondering where the "best" campsite is located around there? I don't mind going a 1/4 mile or so down Deadman or Cloud Canyon to find a good, out of the way campsite.

Thanks for the advice.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Greetings Bryan,

There is a backpacker camp directly across from the ranger station with bear boxes (and a loo) before you cross the Roaring River bridge. If you still have the energy, I would recommend either Deadman or Cloud Canyons. Both have spectacular scenery. Bears are very active in both canyons, so a bear cannister is a must. All meadows are fairly wet, lots of mosquitos.

Which way are you coming in from? Mitchel Peak trailhead or over Avalanche Pass?

Have a great hike
bryanalban
Topix Novice

Post by bryanalban »

Thanks for the info.

We don't want camp more than a 1/4 mile or so away from RR.

I was wondering are the campsites designated, or can you camp anywhere you want as long as you practice "no trace"?
Steve Bearman
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve Bearman »

As I remember it, you can camp anywhere you want, and this is usually the case. The cleared camping areas have the advantage of the bear boxes, which you could just walk to if need be. The site we stayed in was on the ranger station side of the bridge, on the west side of the trail. There was a little path right to the river. It was a great spot.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

That is correct. The sites are not designated.

Make sure to sign in at the ranger station bullitin board.

Thanks,

Have a great hike.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Roaring River

Post by oldranger »

Just past the station on the w. side of the river there is a trail that slants off to the the left off the Deadman Pass trail. Head that way about 75 feet and then look around for a suitable place. This is the driest spot in the area and will have the fewest mosquitos. In my 7 years at RR there were always mosquitos from the first day of the season to my last but they were never bad, but nothing would seem bad after working out of Rowell Meadow for two seasons. There are a couple more sites further up the side trail not too far from the river. If you find a relatively flat retangular spot about 10x15 in that area and decide to pitch your tent there you might have a problem because it is a concrete pad dating back to the 20s and 30s that I covered up with duff. As I recall it was the pad for a shower building for a camp built by an executive from an orange growers association. I broke up a couple of other slabs, one litterally hanging over the river and the concrete chunks are now part of the bridge approaches. The water system that delivers water from the river to the ranger station is a remnant from that camp.

Have a good trip. Roaring River Ranger was the best job I've ever had. Every day I felt like a billionaire, except when I had to shoe my horses!

mike
bryanalban
Topix Novice

Post by bryanalban »

Thanks for all the great advise. I'll try to find those sites to setup camp.

I have a few more general questions about the area:

1. (this may be a dumb question) I assume we'll be able to get our drinking water out of the river. Of course we'll filter it.

2. Can you swim (or stand and cool off) in the river, or is it too shallow?

3. Are fires allowed in the area? Are there existing fire rings at the campsites?

Thnaks again for all the help.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Greetings bryan,

1. Yes.

2. Yes, there are some nice pools both above and below the bridge. Just be cautious, the river is swift and cold.

3. Yes, so far there are no special fire restrictions. That could change as it is extremely dry this season. Use only an existing fire ring. Check with the ranger at the station for any changes in fire restrictions or other concerns.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Ah...Roaring River. Was there in 1972 and don't remember a ranger station...probably because there wasn't one. I remember sitting under a tarp in the rain for three days drinking hot chocolate. One of my best memories in the mountains. Finally went fishing in the downpour and caught a 17 incher just below camp. River was "roaring" too...major whitewater.

Love that place and need to go back!
oldranger
Topix Addict

RR

Post by oldranger »

The station was built around 1956 after the old one burned down.
All materials for the cabin were packed in by mule.--Toilet, shiplap yellow pine, studs, redwood lumber to cover cesspool. If you get a chance check out the redwood table in the station. Story goes the builders built it inside the station and it is so big you can't get it out. In seven seasons of living there I never tried!

Best swimming hole is about a mile and a half or so below the station. A long slow flowing pool that is deep enough to swim a horse thru (So I've been told). Ski bum is right the water is cold, even in August.

Have a good trip.

mike