Blow up mattress

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Blow up mattress

Post by Tom_H »

Nimblybimbly wrote:What causes your sleep apnea?
Wikipedia Page on Obstructive Sleep Apnea
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

None of the "self inflating" pads on the market are truly that way for long. They all require a puff or two to firm them up, and later in their lifespan you end up just blowing them up.

What you really need is a good inflatable mattress, an Exped Synmat or Big Agnes Q Core or similar would be comparable to your mattress (i have one I used for car camping until it leaked) and one of those little 2 oz pumps that will work on triple A batteries. They sell those at REI.

I just replaced a repeatedly-patched Exped Synmat 7 with an Exped Hyperlite - cut the weight in half, but not the comfort. Really enjoyed that for four nights over the weekend. 12.5 ounces, the same as a NeoAir I used to have.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I've been using the Hyperlite for two seasons with just one failure that was inflicted by me. I've gotten pretty efficient at field repairs of inflatable mattresses except for the damn micro holes that bleed out air so slow that you don't bottom out for 3 or 4 hours. Just can't find them.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

oldranger wrote:I've been using the Hyperlite for two seasons with just one failure that was inflicted by me. I've gotten pretty efficient at field repairs of inflatable mattresses except for the damn micro holes that bleed out air so slow that you don't bottom out for 3 or 4 hours. Just can't find them.
Exped is wonderful about those -- I sent the Synmat back with one, out of warranty, and they didn't even charge me to repair it. Sent me a new repair kit back with it too.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

AlmostThere wrote:
oldranger wrote:I've been using the Hyperlite for two seasons with just one failure that was inflicted by me. I've gotten pretty efficient at field repairs of inflatable mattresses except for the damn micro holes that bleed out air so slow that you don't bottom out for 3 or 4 hours. Just can't find them.
Exped is wonderful about those -- I sent the Synmat back with one, out of warranty, and they didn't even charge me to repair it. Sent me a new repair kit back with it too.
I've had the same experience. They once sent me a brand new replacement when the problem turned out to be a defective valve.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I gave up on my Exped Downmat, constant leaking, had a blow out, just received my new NeoAir XTherm. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

maverick wrote:I gave up on my Exped Downmat, constant leaking, had a blow out, just received my new NeoAir XTherm. :)
I went the opposite direction. Exped fixes things. All I got when my NeoAir went blooey was a different version that wasn't comfortable.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

maybe we should all learn to levitate?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

rlown wrote:maybe we should all learn to levitate?
I've learned to use what's comfortable and accept the temporary nature of the gear. I've replaced packs, tents, sleeping pads, many shirts and pants... water containment, water filters, stuff sacks, shoes, socks. It all dies. Every last thing. The down quilts are still going strong tho. What I would expect from something that lives in a stuff sack and then drapes over the top of me, instead of gets slept on, thrown around...
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere wrote:
rlown wrote:maybe we should all learn to levitate?
I've learned to use what's comfortable and accept the temporary nature of the gear. I've replaced packs, tents, sleeping pads, many shirts and pants... water containment, water filters, stuff sacks, shoes, socks. It all dies. Every last thing. The down quilts are still going strong tho. What I would expect from something that lives in a stuff sack and then drapes over the top of me, instead of gets slept on, thrown around...
Ditto. Second Neo Air here as the first had a mfg flaw so Cascade Designs sent me a new one And it was great, and my friend got one as well. A friend decided that he'd break my water filter (we had a backup :) )

Yes, it all dies. That is the sad part.

Guess the point is that you get what you feel comfortable with, and then you're good to go. That's how I work the equation.