rae lakes area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Ahhhhh! Thank you, I'll check it out.
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Duane....im thinking you are talking about Carol?

We did a 5 day trip to the Rae Lakes area....it is very beautiful back there. Our 1st day we went from Onion Valley TH to Charlotte Lake, 2nd day over Glen pass to the Rae Lakes basin, 3rd day we did a day hike loop from our camp into the Sixty Lakes basin...which is a gorgeous area! 4th day back over Glen to Kearsarge Lakes, 5th day back to Onion Valley. We meant Rick Sanger..backcountry ranger that was stationed at Rae Lakes on the top of Glen Pass and then he stopped by our camp at Rae Lakes that same day..there is a picture of him in The Last Season...very nice man!
Have a wonderful trip!
:D
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

I spoke with a group that did the Rae Lakes loop 3 days ago. Glen Pass still has some snow, but it's doable. Just try to hit it early.

3 days though. That would be pretty intense. :eek:
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

MiT, yes, Carol.

I lucked out, I called the Lone Pine RS not the Park Service since my hike starts outside the park and picked up a single reservation, but to do so I have to enter on Friday not Sat. Reservations were all taken for Sat., Sun. and Monday. It worked out, I was able to use a alternate holiday day at work to take that Friday off but I can't get my permit until they open at 8:00 AM. I could be halfway to the pass by then if I could pick up a permit sooner. To spend a week back in there I will have to visit a few places off trail. I was checking out another thread and it sounds like the fishing won't be too good in my choices of off trail camping sites.

Best to go clockwise or counter clockwise doing the Rae Lakes Loop anyone? I was planning on going clockwise.
Piece of cake.
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Personnaly, I prefer clockwise. I prefer hiking down rather then up Bubbs Creek. The trail is pretty exposed to intense sun from Junction Mdw down and is very hot and dusty. Especially this season.

Good hike.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thanks for the info. I tend to hit the trail around 6 - 6:30, love the early mornings on the trail. I wish I could get rid of a few more pounds, but 30 for an 8 day trip last year was great, maybe the same this year as I picked up a chair to relax in. I'll get to test my old TKO on the bears too. Now where is my pile of rocks?
Piece of cake.
Sharp Rock
Topix Acquainted

Post by Sharp Rock »

hikerduane wrote:Now where is my pile of rocks?
Oh my gosh, I remember that thread! :lol:

Have a great trip Duane!

Jerry
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thanks Fishin Fool. New territory for me, I keep expanding my travels. a little at a time. Not only taking in a new area but an area with high bear activity. I'm used to not having to worry about bears living in Plumas County except for my garbage can getting knocked off once in awhile. If my neighbor would quit puttin suet and peanut butter out for the little birdies it would help some. Easy trip this year unlike last year where I did some xc travel and had to work around some boulders surrounded by snow on a steep slope after leaving Bighorn Lake headed to Izaak Walton Lake. Weeeeeeeee!
Piece of cake.