Blow up mattress

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Nimblybimbly
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Blow up mattress

Post by Nimblybimbly »

I know this is probably offensive and outlandish to many, but does anyone pack a full or queen size inflatable mattress and electric pump?

I use it car camping and I think I'm gonna try packing it on a hike (it will add about 10lbs). I sure will be a little embarrassed to create noise with the electric pump (battery holds charge for 24hrs)

I know this is taboo but curious if anyone does it?
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Blow up mattress

Post by The Other Tom »

I was gonna say that's going to be a long extension cord until you mentioned batteries. Never seen or heard of it, but do your own thing, hike your own hike, etc. As you mentioned, be aware of the needs of others and make sure you blow it up far away from them so you don't disturb their wilderness experience.

These things usually come in a stuff sack so put it in your pack and start walking.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I sleep on one when I do my geology car camping trips and I must say it is as comfortable my regular bed at home (which is to say very comfortable), so I can certainly see why you are considering putting up with extra weight (for the mattress and pump) for some backpacking trips.

When I was younger the comfort level afforded by backpacking type lightweight pads or mattresses was more than sufficient, but as I get older, I find the car camping heavy inflatable mattress is much nicer to my back and other aching body parts. If I was going on a backpacking trip solo and it wasn't a really hard hike, I myself would be inclined to take one of those mattresses, because I would consider the extra weight and space worth it. The only caveat is to note that you need a reasonably large 2 person tent even for the twin size model. Some of the ultra small 2 person tents (ie whose "2 person" dimensions are predicated on what seems to be a "spoon left" or "spoon right" model) will be too small. One person tents are almost certainly too small. When I car camp (and this would apply if I were solo backpacking) I take a spacious 2-person tent, so my mattress fits in nicely with a bit of extra room to fit other gear and overnight stuff.

This in fact giving me an idea. I plan to go on a fairly easy backpacking trip with my daughter later in the month or early next. Perhaps I will in fact pack two twins.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A 24-hour charge will make this an option for an overnight trip, two days at the most. Luxurious sleeping pads that would be about as good are available for about $150 at about 2 pounds or less (single person pad- they come in extra wide if you are a big person). Yes, some $$, but would be suitable for all kinds of trips. Most have a small hand pump so you do not have to blow them up.

Have you tried your queen mattress inside your backpack tent? It may be so thick that the reduced head room may make being in the tent less pleasant.

Perhaps a small bicycle pump would weigh less than those batteries? You did not state what the mattress weighed vs. the batteries.
Nimblybimbly
Topix Novice

Post by Nimblybimbly »

I only have one tent, a Coleman 3 person and the mattress is a full. The tent compresses down about the size of a fire log and I put the poles on the outside of the pack.the mattress rolls up to the size of a non backpacking sleeping bag.

I do feel guilty about the electric pump but it only takes about 30 seconds to fill up.

I wouldn't bring any of this stuff for more than 2-4 miles.

Eventually I'll buy true backpacking gear, but I just love the air mattress.

What is all your opinion or knowledge of the best roll up self inflating sleeping pad out there now regardless of price?

Thanks a lot
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

What is all your opinion or knowledge of the best roll up self inflating sleeping pad out there now regardless of price?
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/ca ... eeping-pad

When you have made a decision: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 10&t=11017 ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Ah Maverick, he asked about self inflating not blow up!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

OR wrote:
Ah Maverick, he asked about self inflating not blow up!
3 of the 21 that made the list are self inflating.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

For decades I used only a thin torso sized ensolite pad and thin ground cloth. As I got older and my sleep apnea became worse, I could not get any air at all when sleeping on my back without my CPAP machine. Sleeping on my side, I was able to get a little air and a little sleep, but my spine was thrown out of alignment, giving me excruciating back pain. I started carrying the biggest Therm-A-Rest self inflating pad and a couple of inflatable pillows to keep my head at the right height. That worked for a couple of summers. I then had to go to an 8" thick old style camping air mattress and a foot-pump. That got me a couple more summers. I traded that weight by going super ultra-lite on all my other gear. Finally, my back hurt too much and I had to hang up my boots.

As for taboo, as long as you are not impacting the environment, nor putting yourself or others at risk, you should carry the gear that meets your needs. I would recommend weighing the tradeoffs of weight vs. the advantages something provides to you personally. But in the end, it's your decision to make and your weight to carry if you so choose.
Nimblybimbly
Topix Novice

Post by Nimblybimbly »

What causes your sleep apnea?