seeking conditions for Lillian Lake Loop

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
swaits
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

seeking conditions for Lillian Lake Loop

Post by swaits »

Planning a 2 or 3 night trip around this loop in one week (July 1-4). Have permits, lots of planning, basically ready to go.

I am looking for an idea on what to expect for conditions? What sort of temps should we expect? How much snow is around?

And, do you know of any reliable weather report online?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: seeking conditions for Lillian Lake Loop

Post by rlown »

Welcome to HST!

Have you called the Ranger station to see if the road is open to get to the Trail head?

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/cali ... lake-trail
Last edited by rlown on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Lots of water, standing in meadows breeding mosquitos and rushing down streams making them much, much more difficult to cross.

There is a ton of snow. SAR has been out several times to rescue people from the Norris trailhead area when the trail vanished beneath snowbanks. If you don't know how to navigate without trails, stay out of the wilderness.

Call about the roads. Water has been so high it's overflowing bridges and culverts, making roads impassible. Make sure you are ready willing and able to call it and TURN AROUND if you are driving or hiking and the white water is rushing, your life could depend on it....
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It is lovely when the trail disappears under the snowbank. After 18-100 times, it gets a bit tedious. :lol:

I'm putting this out there again.. Late August/early Sept.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

As noted by others it is highly likely that the trail will be covered by snow in multiple places. Whereas other hiker use may trample the correct path, don't count on it (can't count the number of times I've lost a trail in the snow following a "beaten path"--just happened a couple of weeks ago, in fact), so as AlmostThere cautions, you shouldn't try this trip at that time of year unless you are experienced in navigating off trail without a map. In addition, as also noted by AT there may be some stream crossings that may be hazardous. As far as other seasonal aspects go, one advantage of this area is that the route as well as the destinations are fairly low in elevation for this part of the Sierra (Lillian's elevation is 8800+ ft). Based on my past early season visits, adjusted for this year's snowpack, my guess is that the key lakes such as Lillian will in fact be thawed by July 1-4, but the big issue will be snow covering parts of the trail and potentially hazardous stream crossings.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Want to know where the raft cache is?
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:Want to know where the raft cache is?
Back in 2012 I was there a bit after you folks were there (I was there 8/7) as I recall and I did in fact see a wooden raft--is that the cache you are referring to? 'Twas a good day there back on 8/7 until my brittle rod tip broke while changing lures after I had spent only about half of my planned time there.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nope.. sevylor rafts.. two of them. A foot pump in the box as well. one oar which wasn't much of a big deal. Had to make our own anchors with rock and rope but that was ok. 100 Yds along the South side at the nice camp spot with the kitchen rock above the bedding area. The rafts are in a blue rubbermaid box about 50' above that and a little to the right, unless they've been removed. Just saying..

We left a thank you note in the box. "The lost boys" I credit OR's son on that note....
Pack Trip 2012 054.JPG
Pack Trip 2012 068.JPG
Oh yeah. Also two chairs in the cache...
Pack Trip 2012 053.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

rlown wrote:Nope.. sevylor rafts.. two of them.
Not to get us too far off topic here, but I probably would have used one if I knew they were there. The lake was kinda mired in the mid summer slump on arrival and most of the few rises I saw were very far offshore. Fishing from the raft might have avoided the lost lure that led to my breaking my rod tip.... Oh well, I was able to dial into some pretty big brookies before that rod tip broke, so it was still a good day.

Anyhow I guess we hijacked this post enough and should let it return to its original purpose. Early July should hit this fairly soon after the thaw....might be a lot better fishing that I encountered... provided the other wilderness hazards/problems can be overcome.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Agreed.. Do NOT GO ANYWHERE until you know the road conditions to get to the trailhead and expect snow berms in the trees and some stream/flooding issues. Always call the Ranger station before you go.