Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Had to put Samantha down

Post by rlown »

thanks for the kind thoughts.. I don't miss. Well, i have and that confused her and my friends dog as well. We have to be better now, shotwise. Two of us are dogless and the other is in training.
87TT
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by 87TT »

It's wierd but as i was reading this I thought of the little cedar box with the ashes of my black Lab Domino and my new (5yrs) yellow Shawna came up and stuck her head on my knee. Sorry for your loss.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by DriveFly44 »

Sorry to hear Russ. Sure makes me think about my lab who as you've probably seen I take on all my trips. They are such special animals and will always be with us. Hang in there.

Ladd
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Had to put Samantha down.. Now Bubba

Post by rlown »

I know this is an old thread, but I had to put Bubba down today (dog on the left in the pic in the original post.) 15.9 years is a good run for a JRT. He usually weighs 18lbs; At the vets, I weighed him at 13.6. Lost Muscle mass and kept jumping down stairs and then face planting. Had two violent seizures last night. Would walk in random patterns and sometimes just fall over.

Anyway, Not trying to bore you all. I'm currently dogless and have a ton of stuff to clean up tonight.

Russ
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry for your loss Russ, but it is better for Bubba, his quality of life has not been good for a while. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

It's always tough to lose a dog. My sincere condolences Russ. :(
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Had to put Samantha down; Now Bubba

Post by Harlen »

Russ,

We am very sorry to hear about your loss of Bubba. It is very clear that you are a wise and caring dog person, so it's a hell of a thing to think about for all us above with our own great dog friends, and to imagine what you're feeling now.
We just helped my folks through the loss of their last dog, and though it took them awhile to accept a new dog companion- now that they have a new dog friend in their lives, they are much, much happier.

I don't know what will be best for you Russ, but we sure do wish you well through this tough time.
Ian and Lizzie.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

It's funny how attached we can get to a good dog, even the not so good ones. Sorry for your loss Russ.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

So sorry for your loss, Russ.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks all for the kind comments. It wasn't unexpected, so I was pretty well emotionally prepared for this; Wife, not so much.

Bubba knew it was time as well.