Backpack Sizing

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
jwalliser
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Backpack Sizing

Post by jwalliser »

Hey folks, I'm planning to buy a new pack and I would appreciate some advice about sizing. I've been measured as a medium before (18.5" torso length), but now I'm interested in a pack (Gregory Paragon) that comes in "S/M" or "M/L". The Gregory sizing chart indicates 17" is a S/M and 20" is M/L, but the 18" & 19" torso lengths can go with either the S/M or M/L. What are your thoughts on going with a smaller model versus a larger model for someone who fits right in the middle of the sizing chart? I'm sure the answer is that the right choice comes down to individual comfort, but I don't currently have any quality outdoors store nearby to get good advice so I'm seeking advice here. Thanks for your help!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpack Sizing

Post by maverick »

Your best bet is always to go try it on, take it home, load it up with your usual poundage, and take for a few hikes, to really make an informed decision. REI is really good for this, as one can return equipment if your are not satisfied with it, even after some usage.
It shows you are located in Fairfax VA, their is an REI in your vicinity at:
Fairfax Corner
11950 Grand Commons Ave
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: (571) 522-6568
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

Seconding everything Maverick said.

Went though a very similar process a few months back when picking up a smaller pack during one of REI's member sales. Tried on both the S/M and M/L, with the salesperson pointing out how I could tweak the straps and support on each pack for a better fit. Ended up going with the M/L after wearing it around the store with ~30lbs of dead weight in it for a while.
jwalliser
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jwalliser »

Thanks Maverick, I've been to the Fairfax REI many times to buy/test equipment. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a cross country move so it's difficult to perform a proper assessment. Even worse, the nearest REI to my new home will be 230 miles away! :crybaby:

I guess I was hoping there might be a rule of thumb regarding sizing up or down. On second thought, I think I'll try to squeeze in a visit to the Fairfax REI, since testing the personal comfort is so important. One last question, the particular pack I want (Paragon 68) is not available within 100 miles of Fairfax but the Paragon 58 is available, do you think that the 10 liter difference is negligible for fit testing?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a Gregory in small, was on the fence as you are. And the pack (Jade 40) has to be cinched almost all the way up to fit properly despite being a small. Trying it out is the only way to go. No telling how the straps are going to be. I even have the hipbelt all the way adjusted to XS, where I did not anticipate from the measurements that it would have to go....
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

jwalliser wrote:One last question, the particular pack I want (Paragon 68) is not available within 100 miles of Fairfax but the Paragon 58 is available, do you think that the 10 liter difference is negligible for fit testing?
I'd be surprised if it was an issue; just make sure you note down any major adjustments on the pack you'll be trying on in the store.

Worst case scenario is that you return it to REI if it doesn't fit, which just costs you a bit of time.