Los Padres overnighter

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Los Padres overnighter

Post by CAchief »

Seriously considering taking my 2.5 year old on an overnight backpacking trip this summer. Didn't want to spend all day in the car (San Luis Obispo area) to get to the Sierras even though that is my preferred destination.

I think LPNF is the best option. Henry Coe state park is another.

Any suggestions on a trail? 5-10 miles, would like solitude and to bring my dig. Any ideas on a destination? Thanks!
Last edited by CAchief on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Los Padres overnighter

Post by AlmostThere »

I hope you are well acquainted with very hot hiking - both options sound awful. Too low, too hot.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

AlmostThere wrote:I hope you are well acquainted with very hot hiking - both options sound awful. Too low, too hot.
Perhaps. Summer was a loose season goal. Would consider September/October
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would not go southern Los Padres until December. Won't go to either Coe or LP after April. Not interested in hiking in 100f shadeless trails ever again....
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Have to agree with AT on this about the heat, especially with a small child. The "day in the car" thing is something most of us do to get to destinations. Your Sept/Oct timeframe sounds better, I'd pick Dinkey lakes or the Chain Lakes at that time of year with a small child. I lean towards Sept. Most skeeters will be gone by then hopefully.
Last edited by rlown on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

September in Dinkey would be about perfect.

I have a picture somewhere of me sitting in the dry weeds of LP on my backpack, under my shiny umbrella, slowly melting one day in September - the forecast pretended it would be 80F. It was 110F. The stream was a miserable stale trickle. There's a very narrow window of pleasant hiking in late spring, and then you may as well just climb in an oven.
CAchief
Topix Acquainted

Post by CAchief »

AlmostThere wrote:September in Dinkey would be about perfect.

I have a picture somewhere of me sitting in the dry weeds of LP on my backpack, under my shiny umbrella, slowly melting one day in September - the forecast pretended it would be 80F. It was 110F. The stream was a miserable stale trickle. There's a very narrow window of pleasant hiking in late spring, and then you may as well just climb in an oven.
hmm, maybe big sur in the clouds...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Dinkey or even Point Reyes would be fine for that time period, HC will be still warm and very dry, water is an issue.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

CAchief wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:September in Dinkey would be about perfect.

hmm, maybe big sur in the clouds...
Remember that big rock slide on 1..
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Big Sur, oh, no. The roads are falling in the sea -- five slides and one failed bridge equals at least a year or two til it's open all the way through highway 1 Between carmel and San Simeon. Multiple issues with Big Sur including continuing trail closures for the majority of the Ventana Wilderness -- you can drive all the way around through Fort Hunter Liggett and get to Vicente Flat from the Kirk Creek trailhead. That's about all that will be open, and that too will be HOOOOOTTTTT in September/October. You get a mile from the ocean and it's almost as hot as the southern LP. I take groups to Vicente Flat in spring. If you think the drive to the Sierra is long, Naciemento Fergusson has delays due to traffic -- the CalTrans crews and park employees and coast residents are all forced to use it.