N Fork Big Pine Creek 6/13-6/15/17

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

N Fork Big Pine Creek 6/13-6/15/17

Post by cahiker »

Just got out from 2 nights at the lakes up the North Fork of Big Pine Creek. We started hitting patches of snow around 9200 ft. Travel was easy up to 3rd lake. We hiked about halfway to 4th Lake, but the snow patches were getting longer, steeper and more frequent so we turned back (around 10,500 ft, in the trees).

I'd never been there before and it was gorgeous. Wildflowers were in full bloom on the lower trails - Cliff rose, manzanita, penstamon, wallflower, paint brush, lupine, white mariposa lilly, pink thistle, blue Dick, a cactus with orange flowers and many more.

No mosquitoes to speak of for the first two days, but I got a couple of bites this morning and they were swarming near water on the way out so I expect they'll be getting worse (it's supposed to be about 30 degrees warmer on Bishop on Friday than it was on Monday).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: N Fork Big Pine Creek 6/13-6/15/17

Post by maverick »

Thank you, hoping that a few photos will be added. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Trollman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Trollman »

Thanks for the report......are the lakes fishable? :tear:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Trollman,

Welcome to HST! Browns, Brooks, and Bows up to 12 inches in all three species.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Trollman
Topix Novice

Post by Trollman »

Thanks for the welcome....much appreciated :nod: I just wanted to confirm if the first three lakes are currently still frozen or thawed enough to get a line in.....I have a permit for next week :D
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

The first 3 lakes are all thawed.

Water was running high in the creeks. Image

There was only one wet crossing, however, and that was only about 3 steps on less than ankle deep submerged rocks.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks for adding that photo, any of the lakes and picture towards the Temple Crag/Palisades? Looking for a condition update on the area for a photo shoot I have planned for that area. Thanks

cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

There were patches of snow in the trees around 1st Lake.

There was more snow on the side of the lakes away from the trail.

1st Lake:

2nd Lake:

3rd Lake:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Cool, thanks, the last two shots let me know what I was looking for. :nod:

Trollman
Topix Novice

Post by Trollman »

THANK YOU GUYS!!!! Great report/////much appreciated :thumbsup:
Appreciate you guys taking the time to replay back!!
Starting to pack!!