Grouse ridge area

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Willythedog
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Grouse ridge area

Post by Willythedog »

Anyone been up in that area? More specifically Penner lake and beyond. I'd like to try bikepacking through there but I'm getting inconsistent reports on snow level. Ive heard reports of snow starting at 7400 feet but also heard 5900 feet. Penners at 6900ft.

Edit: not counting yesterday's storm which I'd assume will melt off real quick
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Grouse ridge area

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Err, i meant the Grouse Ridge up above highway 80 near Bowman lake.

Got a hold of the ranger, says snow level is 6600ft but the temperature is gonna skyrocket in the next couple days so might be doable.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

TNF Rangers said it is clear, but to take Service Road #17 out of Bowman, there is patchy snow, so take a 4 wheel drive. Road #14 is closed.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Broot
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Broot »

Went up there the Friday before Memorial Day. All the lakes were still frozen, but as of last weekend I know for sure that Carr, Feely, and lindsey lakes were thawed. Still some patchy snow though. Also, the concrete bridge at the outlet of bowman is all washed out. I'm heading up this Friday for an overnighter to penner.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

I was hoping to get up there this fri-sat myself or next weekend if my other plan of Mt Shasta falls through. If I don't make it up this weekend I would appreciate a condition report up there. Thanks!
neil d
Topix Regular

Post by neil d »

Also interested in evolution of conditions...was up there the Mem Day weekend and snow level was solid at about 6,300 feet...the hike beyond Feeley Lake looked to be a serious slog. I know it is melting fast, but dayum, that is a lot of snow for this time of year...

Also check in on the MTBR Nor Cal forum, some recent chatter there about GR riding, specifically the Beyer and Blue Lake Trails, which seem to be open but lots o' deadfall. I don't think the Crooked Lakes trail out to Penner suffers from the same level of deadfall, but it is sure to be an issue late into the summer this year.

Random thought...have you ridden through GR before? It is highly technical, much hike-a-bike on certain trails in certain directions...awesome spot, but seems challenging for bikepacking once you get off the fire roads...just something to be aware of.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

I've seen that post on MTBR. My route is totally flexible so I'm gonna keep an eye out on condition reports over there and here.

Never been to grouse ridge proper but have ridden around tahoe/lakes basin area. Ive heard about it's hike-a-bike sections. I'm fully expecting some tough going. My pack with usual backpacking gear is around 15lbs so I'm thinking it won't affect my riding too much.

Mtb, flyfishing, and a cold beer in the Sierra- can't beat that
Broot
Topix Acquainted

Post by Broot »

So I went up to penner Friday and Saturday. The hike in from the Carr/Feely trailhead was still mostly snow covered. Island lake was still mostly frozen. Penner, Carr, and feely are all thawed. The snow was melting pretty fast though with the warm temps.
Willythedog
Topix Regular

Post by Willythedog »

Thank you! Didn't expect the trail from Carr lake would still be snowed over. Good to know.