Tehepite valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
The hermit
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Tehepite valley

Post by The hermit »

Does anyone have any info on an out and back to the valley? Wondering what conditions might be now or in a month. Seems like a lower elevation option. Are there any tough stream crossings
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tehepite valley

Post by Jimr »

The hermit wrote: Seems like a lower elevation option. Are there any tough stream crossings
My opinoin? Not a snowball's chance in hell.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Never happen, maybe in August.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You can do a search here and find trip reports.
To sum up:
There is no easy way in unless you own a helicopter.
The trails from Wishon have not been maintained in years -- I have been talking to folks with the trail crews about it but not looking like trail work is in the cards this year, and even if it were, it will take years of concerted effort to get a project of that magnitude completed, especially since we are stretched really thin...
We call the trail from Crown Valley down into the canyon The B*tch. There is really good reason for that. It's only getting worse as time passes.
People have been rescued out of Tehipite every year.
Tough stream crossings include Crown Creek, which has been impassible in the past. Others exist in the bottom of the canyon if you do much wandering around.
These reasons, and others, make this canyon the most remote place in terms of difficulty -- even though it is about a mile by air from Kings Canyon. You get there if you are very determined and very lucky. It will never be a leisurely outing.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

You'll want to spell it Tehipite if you do search...
gchikes
Topix Novice

Post by gchikes »

I am headed that way Sunday out of Rancheria TH, if accessible, Crown TH, if not. Hoping to make it all the way in to the valley the first day, fishing and exploring the 2nd day and two days to hike back out. I will post at least a short trip report afterwards as to trail conditions, navigational difficulties and, of course, the fishing conditions.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

If you want to help us make the case for trail work, take pictures and UTM coordinates of washouts and fallen trees - recon is always welcome.
saucerful
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by saucerful »

@gchikes I was hoping to head that way in a couple of weeks. Good luck! Would be very grateful for a report on the conditions, thanks!
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

Well...at least I started a good discussion. Seems like a late season destination even in a dry year. Someday I'd like to do a trans Sierra hike through there. Maybe next year
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

A good option for a trans Sierra would be over to Mammoth via Hemlock Crossing - beautiful and plenty of water, and more established trail.