Hurd Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Hurd Peak

Post by Shawn »

After "discovering" Hurd Peak in April, I went back to see it sans snow. It was a nice little half-day hike and the weather was nice.

I am thinking I must have a screw loose or something; I spent 12.5 hours round trip on the road and half of that time in the mountains. :retard:

Guess we all know it's worth it anyway.

http://www.theradioroom.org/Mountains/T ... rdPeak.htm
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Congratulations on getting Hurd! I still haven't done that one, but its on my list. Conditions look a lot better than last time you tried.

I spend a lot of time driving too. People think I'm nutz! :retard: I drove home yesterday but didn't see you on the hwy ;)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wow, thanks for the great video, Shawn! Nice panorama from up there -- how many peaks can you name? I thought I saw Split Mtn., but a glance at the map suggests it's probably hiding, at least behind Bolton Brown and maybe behind others...
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Congrats on Hurd Shawn! You're pictures are beautiful - the snow sure has melted off fast. I really liked Hurd - I did the loop version when I did it - up the west side via Treasure Lakes and down the east side. I'd like to get back up there and do Johnson and Gilbert (with me that probably means two trips because I'm typically happy with one peak a trip).
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Sweet pics and report Shawn :nod: Looks like it was a great time, except for maybe the drive..
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Thanks for the comments -

BSquared - I can't name them all but there are many. It's a never ending situation isn't it. All of that eye candy. I kept looking over at Agassiz thinking "maybe later this summer". I'll have to break a map out and review what I observed.

Kathy - I looked at your great photos of Hurd a few weeks back. I could visualize one of your photos looking up at Hurd from Treasure Lakes where one or two of the gullies would be *much* better than the others. From the top I couldn't tell which was which (even with topo in hand), so I retreated back down the east slope being too lazy to navigate down.
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Cool Shawn! I'm going to add Hurd to my list as well. Great idea with the video too. :thumbsup:

Which way do you head over to the east side? Aren't you driving over from SLO or Paso? Just curious. I have to go all the way down to Bakersfield then 58 over Tehachapi. I thought it took me a long time to get over there.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

I am in Paso Robles. As you know, there isn't any quick way to get to the east side. I have been taking Hwy46 east to 99 south to 178 east to 14 north (etc.). So far this gets me to the east side quicker than going a little further south to 58.

If I intend to go to Mammoth or further north, I'd take 41 thru Yosemite and then over 120, but only during off hours when the turons aren't jamming the roads.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Shawn - nice pics - fun video. I have to get that one, too. Thanks for posting these. :D
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

nice picts and report Shawn - if you came home Sunday you probably saw smoke from the fire burning near Kernville - we actually saw the flames burning on the side of the hill driving down from Johnsondale.

hope they get it under control before the predicted winds of tomorrow make it hell
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want