Seven Gables in Late June

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
CunarTheBOSSS
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Seven Gables in Late June

Post by CunarTheBOSSS »

My girlfriend and I were planning to summit Seven Gables in the last week of June. We are backpacking in through Bear Creek and the John Muir Trail to Lou Beverly and trying to tackle the NW face. I've read that it's mostly a class 2 scramble, but I was wondering about needing an ice axe or other trekking tools because of snow? Can anybody help me with this? I see snow on the virtual maps, but I don't know about what I'll see in late June. Any help would be nice. Thank you!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Seven Gables in Late June

Post by AlmostThere »

This year, you might see Bear Creek being impossible to cross. When the snow's melting it can cause problems for all the through hikers.
CunarTheBOSSS
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by CunarTheBOSSS »

Oh boo! Hopefully this isn't the case or I will be able to find a good point somewhere!
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

If it were me, I would bring crampons and trekking poles for sure. Then, I would consult with my partners about the ice axe, usually some kind of group consensus will sway me one way or the other. If slopes are more than 30 degrees, probably I would just bring the ice axe anyway, since mine is pretty lightweight. Be safe! Falling rocks, melting slopes, high water, random massive postholing. Late June is a challenging time!
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

woaw cool image. was up in the mountains recently and I would say things are melting surprisingly fast. Guess we've had a lot of warm days up there.
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I would very much doubt you'll find any snow bridges left in June, and I for one would be reluctant to rely on one at that point. I have been in there in May of a light year (on skis from the east), and I would bet that what I saw is about what it will be like in June this year, except the the creeks will be even higher. I had intended on that trip to get over to Marie lake but the I was not willing to tackle either Bear creek or is East Fork to get over there. I would suggest coming in from Florence instead, over Selden pass. More snow to deal with on the way, but you don't have to cross Bear creek.