Snow Nymph's 50th B. Day Celebration Week, Mt. Lewis 12,500

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

Cori, I'd love to but work obligations are keeping me here in Tahoe for a while. I hope you all have a great time!! I'll hike with you again... :)
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I think the couloir that Kerstin is pointing out in the second picture (with "teeth" in the top) is visible from the Tioga Pass webcam, isn't it? Take a look and see if you agree. http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/tioga/tioga_current.jpg
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Its dark right now. It probably is, since the TH is pretty close to the pass. I'd like to see what it looks like now. Will check tomorrow. :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Kerstin those are awesome!! Thank you posting..I love that golden meadow grass. I will always have such fond memories of this hike & the whole trip :D :D :D
Lewis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Lewis »

It's only taken me this long to figure out what Snowy was talking about when she said she was going to Mt. Lewis.

The cabins in the photos passed on the trail are found on the old Mono Pass Trail which was used by the early miners,
it starts in Mono Basin, goes over Mono Pass and ends in Dana Meadows.

Gold was first discovered in Bloody Canyon in 1852 by an Army Lieutenant pursuing Indians. The area was rediscovered in 1879
and the Prescott Mining District was Established.

The Prescott Mining District was located on the old Mono Pass Trail at almost 10,000 ft. at Mono Pass over looking Mono Lake.
The remains of old log cabins and mines may be found here. Was here a few years ago and saw about 6 sheep on the mountian side.

I don't know why the miners didn't just take Highway 120? What some people won't do to get out of paying the Entry Fees into Yosemite!

~Lewis
"I'll hike with anybody,....... I'm not proud"

http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Lewis

Thank you very much for that bit of history of the area and cabins..very interesting...I love that kinda of stuff.
Very cool you saw the sheep :nod:
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Kerstin »

Lewis, thank you too for the little bit of history about that area. I was quite curious about the origin of those cabins.