Low elevation warm up backpack

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Low elevation warm up backpack

Post by SSSdave »

For decades I've been looking at an early season short trip out of Hetch Hetchy to this creek zone I've never been to that probably sees very few visitors.

Total distance is less than 5 miles, vertical about 1700 feet, thus moderate. All elevations are below 6k thus no snow and no stream crossings. Although I can readily do the trip solo, am offering it here as an opportunity for a few experienced here, female or male to meet as a small group. Although this could be done as a day hike by those very fit, it will work better for those like this person that want to get in a short not too strenuous early season warm up trip. In order to be around for a day to make best use of optimal photographic light, see 2 nights over 3 days about right hiking out the third day by mid morning.

Last week I drove up along the Tuolumne Rim and noted vegetation looked 2 to 3 weeks earlier than usual at the 3k to 5k elevations. Date wise, I see late May just before the MM weekend or just after that into early June optimal for wildflowers and note I am very familiar with nearby zones at that same elevation. But not on the MM holiday May 27>29 period due to quotas. Both the creek given high flows and cliff edges are potentially lethally dangerous so anyone considering this ought to be veterans of off trail travel. There are also rattlesnakes in this geology at these elevations so one needs to be comfortable knowing that can be. Creek too high for fishing.

Individuals will flexibly deal with their own transportation to from wherever. The Mather gate opens at 7am and closes at 9pm so we might be able to get on the trail by 8am even if we get permits that morning. If I get a group permit the day before and members are already at the Backpackers Camp that night, we could leave about sunrise. As a flexible retired person now I could pick up a group permit the day before. The reservable quota is 21, walk up permit quota is 14, and popular destination from the trailhead under snow, so possibly likely unused. Of note, part of the area is within a no camping zone we will not camp within. Since some of this is cross country, I would prefer to do the hiking in as a group and my style of hiking is leisurely, stopping frequently.

For more info send SSSdave a Private Message to be on a group email list and a link to the topo route and some Google Earth satellite images. Not posting this directly on the board so the area remains lightly used and quota spaces are not taken. Will decide on dates as a group and logistics.

David
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Low elevation warm up backpack

Post by SSSdave »

Just phone discussed my plans with one of the resident Yosemite persons at the Hetch Hetchy entrance station. Verified that the area I expect to camp at is still beyond the park's reservoir no camping zones, thus ok. He also related that he personally had hiked up there just last year and confirmed almost no others ever visit the area. At this point there is just one other person that PM'd interested in joining. The MM holiday weekend is May 27, 28, 29 this year and have decided this short trip will be group set up on a date sometime TBD after that weekend. After the 5/20/21 weekend will start a group email session to decide when what how.

David