New sport drink mix

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

New sport drink mix

Post by gary c. »

Usually before I go on a backpack I measure out some Gatoraid for a couple of bottles and tie them off to take with me. The wieght is a lot but I have always figured it was worth it to replenish some electrolytes when sweating them out on the trail. Before this last trip I saw something new(to me anyhow) when I went to get my Gatoraid at WalMart. It comes in little premeasured packets and one contains electrolytes, the other has caffein. The one with electrolytes is called "Replenish Sport Drink Mix". The caffeinated mix is called "Morning Spark". They come in orange and lemon lime flavors and a dozen of them wiegh less than one measure for a bottle of Gatoraid because they are sugar free. I just thought that I would mention them in case someone else like me had never seen them before.
Gary C.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

When I was able to backpack/hiking, I used the powder Gatorade. I can't remember the size...maybe a pint or so (~6" x 6" tub). Before the trip, I'd pre-measure into a small baggies.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

For the last few years, I've been using Emergen-C. Its sugar free and very light per serving. Its available at Trader Joes if one is near you. I also carry some crystal light, not really an electrolyte replacement, but on a long trip its nice to have some lemonade or something like that. Thanks for sharing these others though, I'm interested in trying them out...
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Here is a link to there product line. Seems there there is a bigger variety than I realized. I'm thinking that next time I will have to buy some of the "Power Edge" It sounds like Red Bull only packable :nod:
Gary C.
intrek
Topix Newbie

Post by intrek »

Moondust
Topix Acquainted

Post by Moondust »

I really like the Emergen-C also. (Just got some online at MotherNature.com) But it does have more pottasium than sodium. The Replenish sounds interesting and I'll look for it. Gary, can you tell us how much sodium, pottasium and other stuff it has? I have bonked a couple of times on a warm day due to lack of electrolyes, so now I carry the Emergen-C and a little bag of salt. I think Tomcat told me Walgreens carries salt tablets, so I'm going to look for those also. As long as I keep consuming electrolytes and water, I'm good for all day even with very little to eat.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Oooops :o I guess that I forgot to add the link on my last post.
http://sturmfoods.com/products/powerEdge.html

Moondust, the nutritional info is not really listed. The Morning Spark says 200% daily vitamin C and caffein equal to two cups of coffee. Replenish contains sodium and potassium to replenish minerals. Power Edge list a lot of the ingredients listed on most energy drinks. The lack of real values listed makes things a little suspicious. Like I said, I only just run across the mixes on the counter last week and don't really know much about the product. All I do know is that it gave me a change from just plain water, and adds no wieght to my pack. It was only something like $3 for a 10 pack. If it also has some good stuff to keep me going and feeling good so much the better.
Gary C.
Morse
Topix Newbie

Camelbak makes ELIXIR

Post by Morse »

FYI

CamelBak also has a new electrolyte. It's called ELIXIR.

It is a small tube of 12 tablets about the size of Airborne if you know what I mean. One tablet into 1 liter of water creates a Lemon-Lime flavored drink.

Bought mine at REI.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Back in my Hot Shot days we used Gookinaid ERG almost exclusively, and that stuff is like a magic potion to me. Not the best tasting stuff, but works miracles with me. Like the ads say "Your results may vary..."

According to what I read in different references on sports drinks, Gatoraid compromised the effectiveness of the formulation to make it taste better and thus appeal to a broader consumer market. Gookinaid, Squench, and similar products did not add as much sugar or weaken the formulation to make it taste better, and so they are closer to the optimum mix of electrolytes, carbs, and nutrients (which is nearly unpalatable).

I also use powdered Ensure with my lunch stops. It's a bit heavy to drink while active. But a half liter with lunch, followed by a half hour break or so, and I am fresh and re-energized.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

There's less to this sport drink business than meets the eye. There are some recipes for GatorAid equivalent on this cycling oriented web site http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm

Mike