Snowmobile noise@mammoth on weekends?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Snowmobile noise@mammoth on weekends?

Post by DAVELA »

Was snowshoeing in mammoth 2weeks ago on a weekday and there were a handful of snowmobiles making a lot of grating,high pitch noise.This happened at the minaret vista road and summit.

Was thinking of going to mammoth area this weekend but remembered about this.
How much worse is it on weekends?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snowmobile noise@mammoth on weekends?

Post by Harlen »

I skied down from Mineret Summit last spring, and found snow mobile tracks all the way to Agnew Meadow, and unfortunately, a bit beyond the TH. I believe they are allowed on the road all the way to Red's Meadow. We skied on over Donahue, and thankfully, met no renegade snowmobilers on Thousand Island Lake- I don't know what I would've done?!

For many years my family has enjoyed skiing in the Little Lakes Basin / Rock Creek area. We've always met a few folks back there, but very few campers. I reckon it has some of the most inspiring mountain views on the east side, and am planning to cross Cox Col and ski south, or over Mono and head north sometime soon. I'll try to include a photo from that Rock Creek area for you. Best of luck on your trips, Harlen.
DSC01360.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thx Harlen...yes,i snowshoed the the 5mile rd to mosquito flat last winter...the view was amazing.I didnt go to mammoth necause i was afraid of weekend warriors en masse on snowmachines.Right at the main lodge they rent those stupid things!I have no idea why they are allowed.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

".... they rent those stupid things!I have no idea why they are allowed."

Indeed Davela, I reckon A LOT of stupid things are rented, sold, and created in the first place, and I too wonder why. Wouldn't it be nice if snow machines were silent ...... and invisible.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I can't stand being around snowmobiles when I'm out splitboarding, but I also own one and love riding it or using it to get to further trailheads before I start a tour.

I like that the Sierra has something for everyone. There are places you can and can't ride and it worries me when snowmobilers want to ride everywhere or when human powered travelers want them banned everywhere.

I've read the environmental risk assessment for snowmobile use on Sierra forest service land and it is very negligible and further action was not recommended. It's essentially just a matter of annoying other people, which is understandable when loud 2-strokes are high marking for hours. But there are many places to go where you won't see another soul. I hope everyone can enjoy the outdoors in their own was without enforcing their preferences on others.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Oh Damn,
Nothing worse than an imminently reasonable response coming from the opposition. "Limpingcrab," your points are well taken, however, I would caution you not to wholly accept every environmental report you read. As a professional ecologist, I am a great advocate of the scientific method, but due to "advocacy science" results can be adjusted to suit political agendas. It would be very difficult to accurately quantify the loss of habitat value to canid, felid, and mustelid predators due to the movement and noise of snow machines traveling over large areas. We can assume that the predators would be at least temporarily driven out the area, which would constitute "take"- or- "significant disturbance" to those species. Since there is scant data on this point, this form of "take" might have been conveniently omitted from that report.

The fact that you chose to study the environmental assessment for snow machines makes me think that we are in the same camp after all, and I do appreciate your reasonable position. By the way, any "high ground" I try to take here will crumble beneath me, since my favorite trail companion is the domestic dog you see there in my photo. While dogs may blend in better than snow machines, their impact may be even more negative. All the best, Harlen.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Noticed this on the web:
Source:http://www.sierrawave.net/officials-cau ... mit-areas/

Officials caution snowmobilers on off-limit areas

by News Staff on April 13, 2017 in Fun, General, Gov, Public Event
Press release

Based upon reports from rangers and visitors alike, the Inyo National Forest is reminding snowmobilers to respect off-limit areas of the forest that are closed to snowmobiles.

Forest Service rangers are patrolling closed areas for illegal snowmobile activity; focusing on locations where these incursions are problematic. These areas include designated Wilderness and Research Natural Areas, Mammoth Lakes Basin, Devils Postpile National Monument, McGee Mountain, Obsidian Dome cross-country ski trails, Shady Rest cross-country ski trails, and the area west of the G-trail from June Lake Junction south to the Glass Creek Hill.

This past weekend, based on public reports, several Violation Notices were issued to individuals who illegally rode snowmobiles into the John Muir Wilderness.

Pick up your free copy of the Eastern Sierra Winter Recreation Map at the Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center (a waterproof version is available for purchase as well), obtain it online, or download to your mobile device using the Avenza map app (www.pdf-maps.com). These maps inform recreationists of motorized restricted areas.

The nation’s federally designated Wilderness areas prohibit motorized use; making them off limits to snowmobiles. The closures are there to protect the Wilderness experience, but snowmobile tracks and public reports indicate that numerous riders venture into these closed areas each season. Riding in a Wilderness or a winter motorized closure is a Federal and State offense carrying fines up to $5,000 and/or six months in jail, in addition to possible seizure of the snowmobiles used in the commission of the crime.

It is the rider’s responsibility to know where these closed or restricted areas are located and their boundaries. Major winter trailheads and launching points have maps showing these restricted areas. If in doubt, check with the local Ranger Station or visitor center.

There are miles of groomed snow trails and play areas that are safe and legal to snowmobilers in the Mammoth and Mono Lake areas. There are approximately 75,000 acres of open expanse east of Hwy. 395 with a variety of terrain from wide-open meadows to forested areas for beginners and experts. Please refer tohttp://mammothweb.com/scripts/usfs/trailsreport.cfm for the latest grooming report.

The Inyo National Forest provides a wide spectrum of winter recreational activities. Visitors and residents can vastly improve these recreational opportunities, reduce conflict, and protect the forest resources by practicing common courtesy and respecting others’ experiences.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

limpingcrab wrote: I hope everyone can enjoy the outdoors in their own was without enforcing their preferences on others.
Not about enforcing preference on others so much as imposing one's destructive activities on others...When i see these machines which sound as pleasant as chainsaws on steroids,all i see is a middle finger pointed at me.The attrocious noise is rude,and the pollution is indifference.An activity with wilful disregard for everything natural and wild and to those that come seek it.They are the antithesis of wilderness.They are just plain uncivil.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

I see your point and partially agree DAVELA. But I counter that that's one reason for designated wilderness. Snowmobiles aren't allowed there, so it's an easy escape. Again, something for everyone.

Good points also, Harlen. As a coincidence I'm an ecologist too! Well, now I teach bio and natural resource classes at community colleges so I'm not a practicing ecologist, just a poseur. It would be a tough thing to quantify, but 99% of my riding is on roads that cars travel all summer so I don't see it as much more than year-round access to places that we all drive when the snow melts. But as mentioned above, the impacts are heavily influenced by whether or not people follow the rules.

Long live "the land of many uses!" ;)