Brown on Brown

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Brown on Brown

Post by tomcat_rc »

Saturday joined members of the KRV hiking group for a hike to Cook Peak overlooking Lake Isabella. It was advertised as a 10 mile RT hike. Really it is close to a drive-up peak but the group was starting down low to get some mileage conditioning in. stunning views from the summit and a whole new list of peaks to see and conquer. Aside from meeting new friends to hike with – one noted event was when a black/ white swallowtail butterfly landed on Bob H.’s apple just as I snapped the shutter for a picture – great timing. The hike up was getting warm but breezes on the top made it comfortable for summit viewing. On the way down the road was way too hot so a few of us just bombed down some ridgeline. We managed to scare a few deer up along the way. The beer tasted good back at the vehicle and it was a fun group to hike with.

Sunday was quite the different plan of a day. A group of friends(including Cinammon Girl, SnowNymph, SnoDude, & TrailTrekker) had hiked over a Olancha Pass the day before and I wanted to catch up with them and join them in a summit of Brown Mountain. Rough calculations had this as over a 20 mile adventure. Ridgeline(Dave) agreed to join me – although I am not sure if he knew how long the adventure was going to be.

We started out at 5am from the Sage Flats trailhead. We took the cattle trail up because it is more direct than the hiker trail. We were past Olancha Pass before 8am. I figured that the group would be camped around Summit Meadow near the corrals. When we did catch them there, I knew we had our work cut out for us. From here it was west and downhill to Monache Meadows. Not wanting to drop all the way down into Monache we opted to turn north and go x-country once we saw Brown and Temptleton in the Kern Plateau.

From a small hill we finally made radio contact with the group from the day before. They had slept near the cabins in Monache Meadow and were just getting started for the day(930am). We coordinated to meet- it did not quite work right due to communication issues. At the saddle all dropped their packs and pushed the last mile up to the summit. Everyone made the summit and a new summit for all 6 of us. After a brief stay on top we all went back to the saddle. Since it was Trailtrekker’s birthday the day before we had a mini celebration with gifts and party favors. (sorry I forgot to pass out the atomic fireballs for everyone)

Soon it was time to part ways. The backpacking group was continuing north to summit Templeton the next day while Ridgeline and I still had to hike back out. Our mileage indicated 11.5 miles already by the time we hit the summit of Brown. On the way back down to Monache we saw a black bear scampering up the hill side. He had just left a warm steaming pile of bears**t on the trail we had to cross. After taking water and a couple other social stops we finally made it back to vehicles by 9pm. Enjoyed nice cold beer before heading home.

Total miles: 25.1; elevation gain:7400+; total time: just under 16 hours
Granted we did not have any snow to deal with it was still a long day. I will try and get some pictures up by tomorrow.

Last edited by tomcat_rc on Wed May 30, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Sometimes the best way to tackle a day like that is to not think about it and just do it. X@#%, My body is still thinking about it!
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

I don't know about you - but I could not have bagged another peak Monday if I had wanted to - my body was tired and spent. the days activities including napping, reading, eating followed by more napping and later more eating. Although now it is Wednesday again I find myself asking "what peak next" - actually I have a plan - and it involves crampons and an ice axe
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Chalk one up for the old guy or guys. Way to go.
Piece of cake.
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

i don't know about you, but i don't see many "young guys & gals" doing what us "old guys & gals" do. i think at this age (whatever that is?)most of us are in better shape and have more endurance than we had at 20.

good job, great weekend and have fun on the next adventure!

it was fun to have you and Ridgeline meet us on Brown.

CG
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Tom and Ridgeline - The hike to Brown Peak sure sounds like it was a good workout, but I'll bet it was lots of fun meeting the birthday group for a party up there.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

ty Duane, Norma & Kathy -
it was a long day but a good day to find friends as well
had it all going on incl distance, elevation gain, xcountry route finding, and searching for alternate parties - all with success

finally put some pictures up - I didn't take as many this trip
http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/2918925#157256156
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Kathy, the reward at the summit was seeing friendly faces, I got to meet Sooz and Scott for the first time. Lucky for me Tom is good with the gps, I would have gone a different direction off trail on the way back, alone I may have decided to bivy for the night and possibly kept warm with that bear we saw.
I have a few photos to post, been busy this week.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

A few pics from the hike. Got a little scary running into that tribe at the summit of Brown.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559291752bPytjO
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Just got to look at the pix! :) It was fun seeing you guys up there!

Ridgeline, good to see you again!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;