Little Joe's Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Little Joe's Pass

Post by alpinemike »

TITLE: Little Joe's Pass

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass leads from Lake Reflection to the Upper Kern Basin directly to the west of Lucy's Foot Pass.

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

LOCATION: Kings Canyon National Park East of Lake Reflection on the ridge with the 7.5 Minute Marker of 3827 Meters. HST Map

ELEVATION:12,625

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Brewer

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: The West Side of this pass is straightforward if you find the correct chute to climb up. From Lake Reflection climb up the steep wooded hillside directly across from the outlet. On the map you will see that a tarn is several hundred feet up from the lake. You will pass this tarn on the South side and continue side-hiling across mostly stable talus. This should all be easy Class 2 terrain. From here you will be tempted to enter into a chute that is directly to your east. You will likely be staring up it. DO NOT ENTER THIS CHUTE! Rogue Photonic and I made the mistake of thinking this was the proper chute and unfortunately it was not. We ended up on major Class 3 and even Class 4 climbing at the top of the chute on the ridge to get into the proper chute to get to the top of the pass. The chute that you need to enter is further South and slightly to the East. Since we did not enter this chute I can not account for the exact terrain but from other photos I've seen and TR's I've read it is just as stable and straightforward as the chute we climbed, which was Class 2 Talus and boulders mixed with sand.

The top of the pass had 2 cairns on top when we went through in August of 2016. The East side is nothing more than a basic Class 2 talus and sand walk up.

From other reports it is also possible to enter into this chute from the shoreline of Lake Reflection directly. Although I am not sure if that includes more brush and talus at the bottom.
Capture.PNG
DSC_1951.jpg
DSC_1955.JPG
DSC_1956.JPG
DSC_1957.JPG
DSC_1959.JPG
DSC_1960.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Little Joe's Pass

Post by jimmeans »

Does the yellow line represent the route that you took, or is it the route that you believe is the correct route?
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

It is the correct route. The route we took is the next chute over to the North.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Back in the early 70's, I did a day hike from Lake Refection into the Kern headwaters via Milly's, returning via Little Joe. One of the cairns at the top of Little Joe contained a bandaid can placed by campers from the Bob Mathias Boys Camp. A dozen or so campers signed the note in the can and they named it Little Joe Pass. I was really happy to have had an alternate route to Lucy's. The can in the cairn was no longer there when I revisited Little Joe in the 90's.

I've been down Little Joe three times, see http://www.sierrahiker.com/ThunderCol/index.html for one of the trips
and up it once, see http://www.sierrahiker.com/KernBasinII/index.html
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

This link has most useful images of Little Joe's Pass.

http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/colby.html

Of the 3 foot passes while north facing Harrison is still snowy, north facing Lucy's Foot Pass is snowy, steep and loose, west facing Milly's Foot Pass is steep and loose at the top, west facing Little Joe's reads the least dangerous and looks such on the topo. However at 2000 feet of steep vertical, a really long ways down a steep chute even though class 2 from step to step can be frightening as well as dangerous due to rock fall unless a group is glued together. I measured the 200 meters of vertical between 3500 and 3700 meters that is similar to the whole chute as 72% grade or 36 degrees that is like skiing down directly below the end of the launch ramp on The Wall at Kirkwood but in this case for a lot further ways. Given the smooth bedrock in some sections at the center of the chute, if one slipped there would be little to stop accelerating if one did not stop at first contact and for that reason is borderline class 3. Google Earth view shows the center of the chute is mostly bedrock that has been polished by rockfall that makes it stand out versus anything not right in its center. And it is 250 feet higher than Lucy's though that is balanced by less talus to endure on the west side. If one can get past the much steeper top 250 feet of Lucy's, the rest of that route has a much lower gradient.

The above noted, one must be careful which chute to enter both at the top when descending or at the bottom when ascending as from either location the full chute paths are not in view. Accordingly I did some work with Google Earth and the topo to assist this heretofore lightly used route. Of note near the bottom at the debris fan, one ought ascend the right side that angles up on scree that also contains some whitebark pines versus where the direct main chute enters as the latter goes over a steeper bedrock band. That debris fan is actually beyond the main Little Joe's debris fan and more the result of the adjacent Z chute debris fan. And when descending, after reaching the crest of the ridge point, one must go down past chutes Z Y and X, then take the next chute, Little Joe's, that curves around out of sight left looking down. (Mouse select to enlarge.)

LilJoes2.jpg
LilJoes1.jpg
LilJoes3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Goat
Topix Acquainted

Post by Goat »

Researching this pass I noticed that, in Caltopo the MapBuilder view basically shows this same route, but labeled as Lucy's Foot Pass. Is that incorrect?

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.6990 ... z=16&b=mbt
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Goat wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:42 pm Researching this pass I noticed that, in Caltopo the MapBuilder view basically shows this same route, but labeled as Lucy's Foot Pass. Is that incorrect?

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.6990 ... z=16&b=mbt
Yes, it is wrong. Lucy's goes north-south at the northwestern foot of Mt Ericsson.
SSSdave's post on this thread, including the link, is probably the best information for the Little Joe route.
If you are not in a hurry, this is not a difficult descent. There are some steep, slick rocks to go down, but I remember plenty of nearby vegetation to grab onto in most of those areas. The last time went down it, my football knee was swollen pretty badly and I had somewhat limited mobility. I was tired at the bottom but I wasn't in good shape for that trip.
I have attempted going up Little Joe just once [see: http://www.sierrahiker.com/KernBasinII/index.html]. I went way north of the chute and had to make some interesting moves to get over to it from about half way up. I was in exceptionally good shape for that trip
stevet
Topix Regular

Post by stevet »

The Caltopo mapbuilder, I believe shows the Little Joe's Pass route. Lucy's route drops toward that snowfield.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

Meant to post this a while back, but here's some GPS coordinates taken going up it. I ended up starting in the "wrong" chute - I had to hop over to the proper one to my right at some point, but while the wrong one was a bit narrower it was also a bit more stable, so that might be a good thing.
Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 7.54.25 PM.jpg
21731819_2038206289794268_1281183037752881112_o.jpg
21458183_2038207203127510_924440674460303366_o.jpg
21731795_2038207299794167_2559695185520724087_o.jpg
21740927_2038207333127497_2044573456994465887_o.jpg
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks for the photos. That section down the main chute you mention as looking less stable is the reason my route shows moving off south from the direct fall line that was apparently out of your view from where you came up the "wrong" north chute. These two Google Earth images show that area. The bedrock "rib" at the bottom of the chute is between the W and S chutes and results in that pile of "rockfall" being deflected off towards image right. One ought avoid the rockfall as it would be unstable and rather stay in the S area that has vegetation. One would be able to tell they are climbing up the the correct route by crossing the talus fan into the large talus until reaching the talus free vegetation finger. Between the "rockfall" and "large talus" appears to be a bedrock "fall" area that rockfall rolls over before coming to rest.

I'll be interested in seeing some photos long the S route. Also just above P is steeper section of the chute that appears to be bedrock polished by rockfall, I'd be interested in seeing photos of as that may be the crux.

LittleJoe5.jpg
LittleJoe6.jpg