Best Source For TOTAL Elevation Information?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Best Source For TOTAL Elevation Information?

Post by InsaneBoost »

I've been attempting to find information on total elevation for a hike. Not the highest point of the trail, such as the JMT being 14,505', but rather 47,000' of TOTAL elevation.

For instance some sites claim the Hite Cove Trail is 100ft total, while others say it's 1,500ft. Just wondering if there's a site that has good information. Additionally I'd like to figure it out in general for future hikes of my own. I know they may say 400ft (as the highest climb), but with ups and downs you could be doing a total of 800 in the end.

Hopefully this makes sense. Any way to figure this out?
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Best Source For TOTAL Elevation Information?

Post by dave54 »

use a topo map. follow the trail on the map. every time it crosses a contour line write the elevation down. enter the values in a spreadsheet and subtract each value from the previous. add all the negatives and positive values separately. this will give you the total climb and descent.

won't be an exact value, because of mapping errors (trail shown on map may be slightly different from the ground, contour max error is +/- 1/2 the contour interval, won't allow for small grade changes between intervals, et al).

or...

several mapping software programs will calculate it.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but -
"Due to the costs of delivering map data and the extra support footprint it will present...there is now a $100/yr offline subscription level that also includes all pro-level features."
http://caltopo.blogspot.com/
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Gonna ask a weird question.. Why is that important if you know you have to get from one place to another? A route profile or as dave54 points out, map reading should be enough. Total rise and fall are irrelevant.

This was from Garmin Mapsource and just for fun (North Lake to Tomahawk.) Already knew it was mostly up, and then down and up a bit again from the map.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

It's not really important to me, just more of a curiosity thing I suppose.

And yes, $100/yr. I'll do it old school style like dave suggested. I was merely looking for a lazy/quick route.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but -
"Due to the costs of delivering map data and the extra support footprint it will present...there is now a $100/yr offline subscription level that also includes all pro-level features."
That cost is for a new feature named "CalTopo Offline" . The CalTopo blog clarifies the usage and cost for the "offline" feature (often used by SAR teams, etc.).

The no cost Caltopo with all of its usual feature continues to be free, no cost, nothing, nada. :p

Anyway, CalTopo makes it very easy to draw a line along a given route and then show (among other things) a profile and/or stats. One can see the elevation gain and loss in this information.
CalTopo Profile.jpg
CalTopo Stats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Google Earth will do it. Dump a track into GE, right click and choose "Show Elevation Profile". You will see in the data "Elevation Gain/Loss". These are cumulative gains and losses. Left click anywhere on the profile and drag right to highlight info for any stretch of the profile.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

markskor wrote:Maybe I'm reading things wrong, but -
Like Shawn said, that's only for offline use. Everything else is free, the developer is just trying to recoup some of the development fees by offering paid subscriptions that offer extra perks.