Using HSC as base camps for exploring

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Using HSC as base camps for exploring

Post by balzaccom »

You are getting great advice here from mkbgdns and maverick (no surprise there)

You could also add in day hikes to Boothe, Emeric and Babcock Lakes, and if you are willing to do a very easy cross-country route, head up over the ridge between Rafferty and Johnson Peaks and visit Reymann and Nelson Lakes.

What's not to love about all of that!!?!?!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kev_800
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kev_800 »

Thanks Sambieni, Markskor, mkbgdns, maverick, and balzaccom for your info! Very helpful. I especially like the option of doing some x-country trips to check out some smaller lakes, and to climb Vogelsang Peak.

Happy hiking everyone.
gplhiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by gplhiker »

Hi Kev_800 --
Four of us are actually already booked to do exactly what you described here... three nights in Vogelsang to spend some time exploring the area. This is our fourth year backpacking Yosemite's back country, and after spending two nights there a couple years ago on a mini-loop, I really wanted to get back and explore more. As others have said Vogelsang Peak is an (easy) must do, and doesn't take too long if there was something else in the day you wanted to check out. Our other plans are to possibly visit Ireland Lake, as well as checking out Hanging Basket lake. I have heard nothing but glowing reports out of that destination.
The last time we were there, the amazing series of lakes that headed up to the southeast of Vogelsang Pass also look like a great area to wander.
In any event, as long as it is late enough in the summer to not be snowed in (ha!) the experience will be amazing. I have a number of trip reports and pictures from my previous explorations around Vogelsang on my personal website, which you can find in my profile. Not sure that I am allowed to an outside link here so you can check it out that way if you like.
Enjoy!!
Greg
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

What is the name of the High Sierra Camp that's in Sequoia/Kings Canyon near Rowell meadow?
Living On Kaweah Time
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

iHartMK wrote:What is the name of the High Sierra Camp that's in Sequoia/Kings Canyon near Rowell meadow?
Sequoia High Sierra Camp
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

zacjust32 wrote:
iHartMK wrote:What is the name of the High Sierra Camp that's in Sequoia/Kings Canyon near Rowell meadow?
Sequoia High Sierra Camp
Thank you!
Living On Kaweah Time
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

gplhiker wrote:Hi Kev_800 --
... as well as checking out Hanging Basket lake. ...
Greg
Its a great general area, but I don't specifically recommend Hanging Basket. Its a scree climb (2 steps up, slide back 1), and the lake itself has steep slopes all around which are not really suitable for hanging out. But the view is nice, so you may wanna try anyways.