Hello from the southern Sierra

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mountaincat
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Hello from the southern Sierra

Post by mountaincat »

New to this forum, but old to the Sierra. I may have even met a few of you in person, years ago when I worked in SEKI as a summertime touchy feely nature talk person....

I live in the southernmost part of the Sierra, and go off on day hikes and photo taking adventures, often. I no longer backpack as my back won't take the abuse, so I do car camping and day hikes.

My location is pretty nice: the Kern River Valley. I can be amidst giant sequoias in an hour, or in the desert in an hour (driving time). I can put my feet in the river in a couple minutes. I live where gray pines and cactus both grow, but in 20 minutes I can be in a mixed conifer forest. A tad on the dry side here, but I love it.

Been reading many of the tales posted here, reminiscing about back country places I haven't been to in years. Sigh. But there are so very many places to still visit and explore in these amazing mountains. Hope you all will welcome tales of the front-country, too!
Nature beckons, and I must answer

http://sierra-nevada-ramblings.blogspot.com/
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

New to this forum, but old to the Sierra.

:) Howdy, mountaincat, and welcome to HST. Great bunch of folks here, Eric and the crew that manage this place do a wonderful job. Perhaps like you, I'm no longer able to keep up with the most young and energetic ones, but the adventures that are shared here make up for that. Endless dayhikes still await that are just as special as any expedition I might have done in the past. I would have loved to spend more time in the Southern Sierra. I've always been intrigued by the marvellous intersection of alpine/desert you find there. So join in! Its a great place to share mutual love of the Sierra, and your site is a gem. Thanks for posting.

Would love to hear more of your stories.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Welcome mountaincat! Please join in and share your adventures. I miss hearing from a late customer, who years ago let me in on his old haunts where he fished often, before bping got so popular. Loved hearing his tales and miss him, plus realize he is a lost treasure and storehouse of knowledge.
Piece of cake.
mountaincat
Topix Novice

Post by mountaincat »

Thanks for the welcome!

I like to write, and hope you all don't mind if I share a bit about my neck of the woods (and desert).
Nature beckons, and I must answer

http://sierra-nevada-ramblings.blogspot.com/
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to hearing more of your stories.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hey mountaincat - welcome!

From one rambling story teller to another, always good to hear about another's grand adventures...look forward to reading anything Sierra related.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout