TR: Kennedy Meadow/Dorothy Lake/Leavitt Meadow, 8/27-9/3/16

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR:Kennedy Meadow/Dorothy Lake/Leavitt Meadow, 8/27-9/3/

Post by Tom_H »

Thanks for the memories. I have hiked that route many times. Let me know if you ever take that route again. I have a number of hidden great camp sites plenty large for your group and amazing swimming holes as well.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fun TR to some great, off the beaten path sections, thanks for sharing! :)

Next time you go over Brown Bear Pass, take a side-trip to Lost Lake.
Another Lost Lake, so that make how many in the Sierra alone? 4 that I can think of at the moment, besides this one, at Kuna Crest (Ansel Adams Wilderness), Silliman Crest (SEKI), and near Lake Lucille (Desolation Wilderness). Any more? :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Lost Lake near Sword Lake in the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

There are at least two Lost Lakes in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. I have visited both of these.
On the west side, on a bench east of Sadler Peak above the North Fork San Joaquin River canyon.
On the east side, just west of the Koip Crest, up against the Yosemite park boundary.
-Phil
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jimmeans »

There is a complete set of Lost Lakes below The Keyhole south of Piute Pass.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice trip and report.
oldranger wrote:I hate the tension created when I "have" to catch fish for dinner like you had to at Dorthy Lake. Usually decide it is time for fish dinner when I catch a couple of suitable fish after 3 in the afternoon and try to make sure that I have alternative options if I don't catch fish.
I always take enough food so that I am not dependent on catching fish even though there has been only one skunkage incident in the clutch---but you never forget that one time (because the feeling of being THAT hungry isn't easily forgotten). I recall a trip I took in the 1987 when I caught and release double digits in fish hiking to a certain lake. At the lake I had planned on fish dinner but I struck out, so my buddy and I dug into the "backup" dinner food (only one meal's worth) figuring we'd simply relocate on the next night to where I had caught scads of fish. So the next day we climb this peak (very long dayhike) strike camp, move back to where I had killed it the day before and I strike out again. We ate the last of our breakfast food for dinner, and that didn't come close to satisfying our hunger. The next day we hiked out without breakfast. At one of the lakes on the way out I finally caught some nice fish, so we broke the stove and pot out of the backpack and ate a very welcome hot brunch---we were famished. In the year's since then my crew has always carried enough dinner food to cover us even if the fishing was an absolute zero for every day of the trip. In fact I've never had another "zero" for an entire trip (or at least the main evenings of a trip) since that trip in 1987, and I've always carried unopened dinner food back to the car, but I'd rather pack too much than be left hungry for even one night. Plus it takes the stress off of fishing.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;