What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What's In Your First Aid Kit

Post by alpinemike »

I more or less have what is already listed. Something that Rogue and I added to our kits this past year was a couple suture kits. Something that he could have used multiple time before. We have routinely joked about having to use a thread and needle to sew a wound shut which would be excruciatingly painful. At least now we have the sutures. Hope to never use them but I feel considerably more comfortable now, knowing a serious cut can be sewn shut and prevent major blood loss.

I also carry bourbon for drinking, but naturally in a pinch it will disinfect any wound albeit with major burning since it's preferred to use clear alcohol.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Sorry about that Maverick. I did do a search for "first aid kit" and a couple variations.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:In one way I almost agree with the fellow- small injuries really do not need immediate first aid- you can walk out and then get them fixed. Most of the "first aid" done for small injuries are to make you more comfortable or keep blood from dripping on you. As for infection, wash off with water and then if you get out you can get treatment.
You say later that you do not bring along antibiotics. Is there a reason why not? A guy at work did that very thing when he cut his foot. He nearly died from the infection before he went to the hospital a week later. I just know how dirty I get when hiking and think an antibiotic is a good thing to have along. I agree about the moleskin not being necessary. I also think I should add some Imodium or similair product. I also forgot to mention that I bring along some prescription eye drops, but that was included in the total weight I posted.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have spend many days upon days in the wilderness, got numerous cuts, scrapes, and such rock climbing, sliced myself working (geology- drilling rig) in dirty conditions, got mauled by a fence post, scratched by pets, and never in my life have I ever had an infection. I just do not get them. Not that I say others should not take antibiotic ointment. As for antibiotic pills, you have to get a prescription for them. I have probably taken them once or twice in my life, and then only after minor surgery in a hospital, where there are tons of bad germs. Compared to a hospital, the natural environment is pretty clean. And I wash wounds thoroughly. But you are right that taking antibiotics does not add much weight to your first aid kit.

Oh, I did not mention, I do take about 10 plain aspirin. As you get older you are more prone to stroke, and they say chugging aspirn if you think you are having a stroke can minimize damage. And the aspirin is also a pain reliever. I tolerate aspirin very well.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It just takes one infection to appreciate antibiotics. You don't have to use them unless you have a problem, like a smelly punctured fingernail or a UTI. It's a safety net when half way through a 10 day trip.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Several years ago I saw on line a first aid kit carried by a doctor who also backpacked. His list had scalpels, suture kits, enough drugs for a pharmacy, and all kinds of medical gizmos. I didn't even know what some of the things on the list were. But he was a doctor and knew how to use all that stuff. He could have performed major surgery out in the backcountry. That was his comfort level, even though it was probably well over a pound of overkill. My kit has a small assortment of bandages, antiseptic, and some OTC drugs (ibuprofen, cold tablets, et al). I have had only one major incident myself ever, and no first aid kit would have helped (broken ankle). In that case you just splint yourself best you can, hunker down, and wait for the cavalry. Most of the time I just get a scratch or small cut and treat it easily with a dab of antiseptic and a bandage.

If hiking with others you only need 1 kit for the group, so everyone does not need to carry one.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

When I was young my brother had the first aid kit, now I carry the trip kit. We have always had sutures and a snake bite kit. Iodine to clean wounds and sterilize implements. We also carry fish hooks and line in the first aid kit. As time goes on I've added a few things; I hurt my back several years ago, since then the kit has a few day's of Vicodin. I expect that a dose of Vicodin will make carrying a pack unlikely, so I also bring Tramadol. I carry antibiotics so I don't get endocarditis, I had heart surgery in 2014. Imodium has replaced Lomotil. For a couple of decades we had a large amount of Sudafed, when it was recommended as an anti-hypotermia treatment. Every few years I take a different antiseptic ointment. But I've never treated anything worse than scrapes and blisters.
-mort
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

A couple each of 2x2 and 4x4 sterile pads.
A small tube of antibiotic cream with pain reliever.
Small nail clipper for the possible hang nail.
One small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide that doubles for oral hygiene.
One sewing needle for splinters and repair.
One small roll of dental floss that doubles for sewing repair.
One roll of Coflex tape--the stuff they use to wrap the arm after getting a blood draw. Great stuff to use on my paper thin skin, that easily gets barked off... or splinting a broken bone.
Alcohol from my stove.
Some cotton infused with Vaseline that doubles as a fire starter.
Vitamin I.
Tetanus shot up to date.
SPOT like devise.

There is not such thing as a "clean" environment, except maybe on the moon or Mars. Even the Sierra is teaming with bacteria, but soap and water is all you really need to prevent a bad infection on skin wounds.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

the hiker mentioned in the first post must be john zahorian (https://www.youtube.com/user/johnzahorian), right?

while i'd never go into the wilderness without my basic first aid kit, it's at least worth noting that john is an extremely seasoned thru-hiker (triple crown, for starters). he also appears (from the version of him available in his videos) to be an extremely thoughtful, intelligent fellow with a very high backcountry skill level. whether he's "advocating" that others don't bring a FAK or not is debatable. but from a personal perspective, he's clearly proven that his system works for *him* over what must be over 10,000 miles of hiking.