Keynot Peak, Fossil Falls, Fremont Peak

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Keynot Peak, Fossil Falls, Fremont Peak

Post by Snow Nymph »

Saturday, 19 May 2007 (day 2 of 3)
Union Wash to Keynot Peak dayclimb

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/2882463#154813428

Two years ago I went up Union Wash (to do Mt Inyo) and I got really sick from altitude. This time I spent a full day at Onion Valley/Kearsarge Pass. This trip was awesome and I felt great! It wasn't as hard as I thought, and Trailtrekker felt the same way. We both said we would never do Inyo again. After this trip, we both said we would do Keynot again. Very cool peak!

still working on captions
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Cool pics, nice group Slow Nymph. Reminds me of my solo bp trips, all the wimmen are headed the other direction.
Piece of cake.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

Wow..........a beautiful peak, great weather, and wet and wild women.........what could be better??? :nod:

Keynot really is a great looking peak; it has almost a "clean" look to it for a desert peak. The contrast of the trees with the stark desert surroundings is really striking! If I was in a little better.......make that a lot better aerobic shape............!
:lol:

Great pics, Snowy; once again I "almost" feel like I'm out there with you guys! :D
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

fantastic pictures as always Snowy

I would add that it was great to see wildflowers blooming even though the season is bleaks. it was a beautiful day with great company. last time I did this peak the final stretch we approached from the west due to snow -this time was an easy traverse only slightly dropping down on the east side. with stunning views of the Keynot Ridge and Beveridge Canyon - I will definately be back to this area for many years to come.

pictures are up - will add some captions tomorrow night:
http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/2885761#155045257
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Great shots, both of you!! Tom- I like your Smugmug colors, looks nice. Had a really fun wknd, nice peak-good friends. Can't beat it!
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Snowy and TomCat,

Great pictures! You captured one of the best days of peak bagging i've ever had with your keen eyes. A beautiful mountain, great weather, a challenging hike with great friends and we finished it with a refreshing dip in Bed Spring. AWwww...

SN, The last picture of us around the campfire should say, "Tired and Happy Hikers!"

Loved the pictures of the flowers and bristlecones too.

CG
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Hef, I mean tomcat, three beautiful ladies, the mountain, please dont show these pics to friends, there wont be an inch of trail left for the rest of us.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

tomcat hefner - bet you didnt know hugh was my older brother did you. when we gonna get you back out RD - since others are doing extended backpacking maybe Sunday or Monday you wanna see that mysterious ledge you were curious about

CG - you added good color to make the picts great -- soon you can start getting digital like the rest of us.

TT - still waiting on yours. thanks about the colors. I figured tan for desert and green for Sierra Peaks - you can bet I strained brain cells for that one.

one of these days gonna have to get a group out for a Sierra Peak - hope everyone is working at getting in shape for the season.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Tomcat, just got my knee back in order, a little hyperextension the last time out, had it swollen for a week. whats hapening Monday? would like to acclimate sunday and hit it hard Monday, early start.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

LOL! hikerduane!

Trekker, so now you know why I’ve been pointing out Keynot on all my trips. You’re always out there with us, you just get the views a few days later.

Trailtrekker, Amazing how we both hated the trip to Inyo, but loved the trip to Keynot. The only difference was Inyo is north 2 mi, and Keynot is south 2 mi from the saddle. Maybe it was the company that made this trip up Union Wash a big success! :D

CG, I think we all agree “one of the bestâ€
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;