Burning calories Question

How do you prepare for the rigorous physical requirements of high elevation adventure? Strength and endurance are key, but are only part of a more complex equation. How do you prepare for changes in altitude, exposure, diet, etc.? How do you mentally prepare? Learn from others and share what you know about training in advance for outdoor adventures.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Burning calories Question

Post by Wandering Daisy »

300 calories is one SMALL piece of apple pie. Or 2 glasses of wine. Or a bit more than one craft beer. Once I realized that I would have to hike hard for an hour to burn off one desert I started watching what I ate. I walk 4 mph when I go for walks at home. I think about that when I reach for that beer. Very sad. Problem is that we backpackers are just too darned efficient at walking! :(
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

As has been said already... regular exercise really revs up the metabolism, and you don't have to go out there and kill yourself doing it. Its's all about being consistent. What has worked for me is a conscious effort to avoid fast food, eating out at restaurants and shopping only the outer isles of supermarkets. that's where all the fresh unpackaged food usually is. Another way to burn calories is to be cold, maintaining body temperature burns calories too. I probably burn quite a few calories every night when I am backpacking, just trying to stay warm before I get into my sleeping bag!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Well I started this thread with a simple question about calculating how many calories it takes to move a given weight up a foot. Then I got a bunch of advice I already knew about general conditioning. So here is another simple question. It is snowing in Central Oregon as I write this. I just spent 40 minutes shoveling off the driveway. I'm weighing about 175 in my pacs and winter gear. How many calories did I burn. Whoa probably the wrong group to ask! Most of you live in California but a few in snow country who might have considered such trivia. :D
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

You'll get more accurate results if you factor in heart rate which will allow you to use the Journal of Sports Science formula. (Or just use an HRM to do the Calorie estimation.) See for instance http://fitnowtraining.com/2012/01/formu ... es-burned/ .
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mike, You could actually gain calories if you hand the shovel to your wife, and then sit on the porch drinking a nice beverage.. :D
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Dave, thanks

Russ, You know there is absolutely no difference in fat chance or slim chance!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

You can exercise all you want, but if your diet is out of whack, you won't have too much to show for it, especially during the holidays.
Not an a fitness expert but as a physiology teacher I think this needs a repeat. And exercise doesn't mean you earned he right to eat a little extra, like many people do. If calories burned exceeds calories absorbed you'll lose weight, it's physics more than physiology. Obviously there are different ways to go about it but cutting calories in tends to be the most efficient (but less fun)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Get a dog. Our border collie has to walk 5 miles a day or she goes berserk. I have actually been urban exploring with her. My goal is to walk every street in my unincorporated town. It has been quite amazing. We have a flock of wild turkeys and a number of roaming deer. And once a week we go to the river; urban but pretty nice - could almost guess that I was walking in Henry Coe park. Hard to not go walking when all I have to do is go out the door.
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted

Post by dapperdave »

Mike,

Regarding walking uphill, this paper:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4306638/

shows that walking up a 7.5% incline at 2.9 mph has about twice the metabolic cost as walking 2.9mph on the flat.

Dave