Tentless?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fishytodd
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Tentless?

Post by Fishytodd »

Howdy, new to the forum and relatively new to the Sierras.

Im planning a trip to silver divide/ lake edison area in mid/late june and was trying to save weight and $$ and not get a tent (also the idea of open skies is very appealing). Certainly bringing decent pad, bag, and tarp but wondering if i should bring a tent also? any suggestions?
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Re: Tentless?

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Fishytodd wrote:Im planning a trip to silver divide/ lake edison area in mid/late june ... but wondering if i should bring a tent also? any suggestions?
Oh sure, you cold not bring a tent, but this year, that time period would land you smack dab in the middle of mosquito season, the worst of which lasts about a month. If you insist on being mosquito bait, get one of those hoop and net things for your sleeping bag so you have at least one refuge from the flying bloodsuckers. And I know for a fact that area has its share of skeeters.

More on that area:
http://www.sierra-trails.com/sliver/stcoverv1n11.htm

Good luck! :lmao
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yes you can use a tarp, but as mentioned youll be in skeeter
season.
I was looking for adventure16's site to recommend there product
but I guess there not around any more. Guess my pop net has become
a collectors item!
The way your asking I have to ask, have you ever tarped before?
If not, tarp tents are light(under2lbs) and will give you bug ,wind and
rain protection at $215.
Checkout tarptent.com for example.
You can also use a bug or regular bivyw/net combo with you tarp.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Welcome to the forum! I have many times gone 'tentless' - just a tarp. If your not experienced with a tarp, make sure if it rains you set up in an area with good drainage - I've had a lot of experience with a tarp and even then one time set up in the wrong place - got back to my camp during a downpoor and everything was floating :eek: Doyle brings up an important point about the skeeters...you can carry a no-see-um 'den' to hang under your tarp, or use a little bug bivy. I personally prefer to hang the den thing as its much more comfortable. When it comes to weight though - depending on which you prefer - when these things start adding up they weigh close to some of the tents made today (one trip I carried a bivy for wind protection, a tarp/poncho, a bug net, and ground cloth - adding up to near the weight of my tent) - but they are a heck of a lot cheaper :D - nowadays I almost always opt for my lightweight tent because of this, although I do miss the openness of the tarp (as long as its not windy).
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

A bivy sack might work better than a tarp. My bivy sack has a big netted opening and a hoop around the head area.
fyton2v
Topix Acquainted

Post by fyton2v »

REI has a decent bivy for $99. It has mesh around the head area to keep mosquitoes and bears out.

http://www.rei.com/product/731432?vcat=REI_SEARCH
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I wouldn't recommend going tentless, not because of the mosquitoes but because of the possibility of rain. The (theoretically) normal weather pattern is no rain at night, but you get a front in and it rains more or less non-stop--you're not going to want just a tarp or a bivy sack at that point.

I sleep without a tent whenever weather allows, mosquitoes or no. It's much nicer to have the stars to look up at.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Keeps the bears out too? That's some good mesh!! You're too funny. :D
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

It has mesh around the head area to keep mosquitoes and bears out.
This bivy sack, not to be confused with Ursack, has not been approved by SIBBG ;)
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

I'd go with the Tarp. Shed the pounds and it's more versatile. If you are worried about skeets then take trailblazer's advice or opt for a cheap headnet