Suggestions for peak bagging overnighters?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Suggestions for peak bagging overnighters?

Post by gbrown09 »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for relatively short (preferably overnighters) backpacking trips with the following characteristics:
-Great views for sunrise/sunset (photography is the primary objective) from or near campsite
-Summit campsite or any high up campsite with an epic view
-Lake(s) down below preferable
-Driving from SoCal so the closer the better

Trips I've done in the past that I loved (looking for similar ones):
-Mt Agassiz - cowboy camped just below the summit
-Young Lakes (Yosemite) - awesome campsite above the upper lake

I'm a relatively experienced backpacker and I'm comfortable with cross country travel. Would prefer class 1-2, maybe easy class 3. Comfortable with 8-10 miles a day and a few thousand feet of elevation gain, but not opposed to easier stuff! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Suggestions for peak bagging overnighters?

Post by zacjust32 »

In SEKI there's plenty of peaks in Mineral King the may fit your profile, and the area is very photogenic. Some of my favorite hikes near Lodgepole are Alta Peak/Pear Lake/Tablelands and Mt. Silliman, both of which I have done as overnighters. They both offer views of the GWD. You can find my trip reports below.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

If you don't have Secor's book, then get it and familiarize yourself with the peaks of southern SEKI, categorize them according to your abilities, then use Google Earth to get views from the summits and the ridgelines. Also, check out TR's to the summits, which many have pictures included, here on HST, Summitpost, Supertopo, and Mountain Project, the more intel you have the better your chances of success.
The Western Divide from Mineral King up to Kaweah Ridge and Miter Basin, have plenty of subject matter to keep you busy. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted

Post by gbrown09 »

Thanks Zac & Maverick for the suggestions! I checked out those peaks online, I'm just having a hard time figuring out if there are any bivvy spots on or near those summits since I don't want to climb in the dark. Also came across Sawtooth Peak in the same area which looks awesome as well. And I'll definitely get my hands on that book.

Anyone have any other ideas? Any easy peaks in the Eastern Sierra (preferably no farther north than Bishop/Mammoth) with bivvy sites on the summit?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

When you get a wilderness permit for the Alta trail, they will tell you it's illegal to camp on Alta Peak. It's also the case for other high places that are very popular such as Half Dome. If legalities are a concern that's one of the questions you should ask, particularly in places that are patrolled by rangers, like the Alta/Lakes Trail region -- there's a ranger living at Pear Lake, after all.
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted

Post by gbrown09 »

AlmostThere wrote:When you get a wilderness permit for the Alta trail, they will tell you it's illegal to camp on Alta Peak. It's also the case for other high places that are very popular such as Half Dome. If legalities are a concern that's one of the questions you should ask, particularly in places that are patrolled by rangers, like the Alta/Lakes Trail region -- there's a ranger living at Pear Lake, after all.
Good point, definitely not trying to break any rules.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

I've heard of people sleeping on top of Four Gables and Cloud's Rest. There's a little lake right below Silliman that you should be able to find a place to sleep at. You could probably find a place to sleep in the cirque below Goode. There is a large sandy plateau right below Langley. Leavitt Peak had a flattish spot below the summit with awesome views. Actually I think the summit of Leavitt is also flat. I'm pretty sure there's a bivy spot at Italy Pass below Julius Caesar (right?). But I guess I wouldn't consider that a shortish trip.
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gbrown09
Topix Acquainted

Post by gbrown09 »

peaksandpotatoes wrote:I've heard of people sleeping on top of Four Gables and Cloud's Rest. There's a little lake right below Silliman that you should be able to find a place to sleep at. You could probably find a place to sleep in the cirque below Goode. There is a large sandy plateau right below Langley. Leavitt Peak had a flattish spot below the summit with awesome views. Actually I think the summit of Leavitt is also flat. I'm pretty sure there's a bivy spot at Italy Pass below Julius Caesar (right?). But I guess I wouldn't consider that a shortish trip.
Great info, thanks!!!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I would second the advice about studying Secor and maps. I was doing this long before the 1st edition of Secor, so I grew up with Voge's climber's guide, but the game plan still remains: study the books and maps. The majority of the peaks I climbed back in the day were on overnighters or dayhikes, so many are suitable.

Here are some suggestions. All of the below have flattish areas on or not far below the summit.
A. East side (Mammoth and S).
1. Mt Morgan (the higher one) out of Little Lakes Valley; class 1 to 2 and amazing views
2. Mt Lamarck above Lamarck Col out of North Lake; class 1 to 2
3. Mt Goode out of South lake. Class 1 to 2. Not as nice a peak as Agassiz, and not as good views either (Agassiz has some of the best views in the entire Sierra, in my opinion), but still not bad.
4. Cloudripper out of S. Lake/Parchers Camp. Nice peak and nice view. There is a smidge of class 3 just below the summit, otherwise it's class 1.
5. Mt Gould above Kearsarge Pass. The summit tower is class 3, but it's an easy class 1 walk up to that point.
6. Lone Pine Peak from the Meysan Lake side.
7. Mt Langley and Cirque Peak out of Cottonwood. Both are easy class 1 to 2 and have big flat summit areas.

B. West flank southern part.
1. Spanish Mtn. Class 1, perched on the north rim of the deepest part of Kings Canyon with lots of flat sandy areas on the top.
2. I'm in total agreement with the recommendations of Sawtooth Peak in Mineral King.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You do not need large flat spots. On most mountains in the class 1-3 range, there are plenty of small spots to sleep in near summits, if not exactly on top. The bigger issue is hauling water. I would tank up before starting, as well as a nice big cooked meal and then just do trail food on the mountain. You can survive on less water than you think. Sometimes you luck out and there is snow to melt or little pools of rain water on flat rocks.

I have had a few unplanned nights up on mountains, LOL. These were on technical climbs that we did not make it up on time. Never carried more than two liters of water. Did not even have a sleeping bag.

There is a "Grade" used in rating climbs. Grade I is a climb of less than 3-4 hours. Grade II - all day climbs, Grade III very long days, Grade IV may require overnight bivy, Grade V definite overnight (unless you are Peter Croft). So if you look in Secor's book, it may say "I, 5.2" that means a relatively short climb of 5.2 difficulty. Not sure he applies the "grade" to class 3 or easier climbs. You will be looking for grade I climbs if you are actually hauling up camping gear. Also look at the web site climber.org which have the SPS climbing reports. They do a lot of "peak bagging" of class 2-3 mountains.

I would say look at maps (or Google Earth) and pick the area (lakes below etc) that you want to see and then look up the peaks in Secor's book. Keep to class 1-3 routes and then just go up and do not worry that much about a "campsite".

Obviously, do not do this if there is any threat of lightning.