North Dome from Porcupine Flat-Questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

North Dome from Porcupine Flat-Questions

Post by MountainMinstrel »

My wife has agreed to go on a day hike with me. :) As this will be her first serious hike, I don't want to take on to much for her. So, what do you think? On my TOPO it apears to be 5.2 miles one way going by way of Indian rock, plus another mileish to go out to the rock and back. However, It does not apear that the milage listed on my TOPO from the Porcupine Trail cuttoff to Indian Rock cutoff is correct. My map (Harrison) lists it as 2.1, but it looks like it is closer to 1.1. Also it apears to be a faily flat hike (but I have been wrong before). :eek:

We are looking at this Saturday. Can anyone give me some idea of trail conditions right now in the area? I want this to be a pleasant experience for my wife who is in reasonably good shape. If you think this might be to much let me know. I want her to go again. [-o<

thanks

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I got 5.4 one way without taking detour to Indian Rock. The last
time I went ti North Dome was via thr Snow Creek Trall about 12 yrs
ago.
It was in May an I ran into alot of snow north of IR in the wooded area
but once on the western side the snow was mostly gone.
Since this area is facing north and at 8000ft my guess is that there
may be snow in the wooded areas(shaded).
This is only a guess, who knows what this year is like up there.
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CinnamonGirl »

I too have only backpacked up to North Dome via the Snow Creel Trail. That has a lot of elevation gain and is not the trail for everyone.

Porcupine is alreay at elevation so this would be a nice hike, with beautiful scenery and a spectacular view on North Dome. i bet she will love it. Bring insect replellent. Mosquitos in the forrested areas can be unforgiving.

The hike down to Glen Aulin from Tuolomne Meadows is also beautiful. The river is along side you most of the way making for a gorgeous day. Just leave early to beat the pack horses, so you only have to see their fresh deposits on the way back.

Have a great hike!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Indian Arch is only 0.3 miles from the cut-off. Here's my trip from North Dome...

The Backcountry - North Dome
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Thanks everyone. Your input was heplfull. Mike I had already seen your trip report from your other post (nice site). I noticed that the trail sign said it was 4.4 to North Dome, so I guess that the mileage I was questioning is incorrectly labeled on my TOPO.

All I am concerned about now is snow, but with what I saw this last Sunday driving up to Huntington Lake, I don't believe it will be problem. If someone knows differently or can confirm, I would love to know. If not I will post a report when I return.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.