John Muir-"My First Summer in the Sierras"

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

John Muir-"My First Summer in the Sierras"

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi Everyone,
While I have been thinking about my summer plans, I recently finished "My First summer in the Sierras" by John Muir. It is the greatest book for any Sierra backpacker to read!! He expresses emotions and love for the wilderness that only a backpacker can understand. He is very funny and I laughed throughout much of the book! He was a more incredible mountaineer than I ever could have imagined. Finally, It is delightful to hear him describe places in which you have been!!!!
Journey in Alaska and Sitkeen by John Muir are also great books. Hope that you enjoy them as much as I did.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: John Muir-"My First Summer in the Sierras"

Post by oldranger »

I read just about every Muir published about the Sierra, probably before I was 16, because I wanted to know as much as I could about the Sierra. Now I feel like I'm the only one who finds his writing kind of overblown. I really don't enjoy it now despite the information he provided. I guess it is the style and it might be all the people who signed registers on mountain tops and at my ranger station and spent pages of flowery prose in seeming imitation of Muir. It just got old.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

To old ranger. I liked your honesty. To me it was really cool.
anotherdogdown17
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by anotherdogdown17 »

My First Summer in the Sierra's is a great book! All the John Muir books are worth reading IMO. During the winter when I'm feeling a bit cooped up (like now), I enjoy grabbing one off the shelf and spending some time reading it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Anotherdogdown17,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
anotherdogdown17
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by anotherdogdown17 »

maverick wrote:Hi Anotherdogdown17,

Welcome to HST! :)
Thanks maverick! I've been lurking for so long I didn't even realize that was my first post. [emoji53]
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

You're not the only one oldranger. At first, his use of metaphor is interesting, but it soon gets old. Glad I've read his work, though.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Jimr, I absolutely agree that his work is worth reading. Did not mean to imply that. Rereading just got tedious.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

oldranger, I saw no implications in your post. I added that so my thoughts were clear.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.