Must do dayhikes in Yosemite

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Must do dayhikes in Yosemite

Post by Aviprk »

I will be part of a group of people who are going car camping in Yosemite. I will be in charge of the hiking and was wondering what are some of the must do hikes in Yosemite - namely the valley area. We've done Half Dome and are likely to do it again. Another one is the 20 lakes basin if we go from Hwy 395. I do know Cloud's rest and the Falls (Nevada, Brideveil and Yosemite) are pretty popular too. Other than that I'm clueless.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

How many days are you going for?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

1. Three Brothers via Yosemite Falls Trail (11.8 miles)
2. North Dome via Snow Creek Trail (16.6 miles)
3. Panorama Trail to Glacier Point 8.3 miles (take bus back to
Valley) or hike down 4 Mile Trail(4.6 miles)to the Valley total 12.9 miles
These are round trip mileages.

Do not miss Clouds Rest best viewing point in the middle of the Park!!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

If you're up for a short hike with a little adventure, Sierra Point has an awesome view (including every waterfall except Bridalveil). The trail is officially closed, but if you scout around on the net you can get the info you need to find it. And as I said, it's short--you can easily combine it with another hike out of Happy Isles.
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Post by Aviprk »

How many days are you going for?
We will leave on Sunday July 1st and come back July 4th (wednesday). Sunday will be unpack day and wednesday is when I plan to hit the 20 lakes basin or do a very short hike. So we do have Monday and Tuesday to do hiking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

9 Lakes Basin is on the eastern side of Tioga Pass near Saddlebag
Lake which is a long haul from the Valley.
You could visit it will coming into the park from 395 if you have the time
otherwise its quite a ways off.
You might see if you can camp at Porcupine Flat or Yosemite Creek
for the night and do Clouds rest from Tenaya Lake 15.6 miles as
opposed to 20 miles round trip from the Valley.
Last edited by maverick on Mon May 21, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I know it is not a "hike" per se, but rafting on the Merced...always holds a dear spot for me.
Nothing better than 5+ hours floating and baking down the Valley...peaceful and serene...stopping wherever. Great photo opportunities abound...what better way to spend some Yosemite time.
Mountainman who swims with trout
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Here's a few more recommendations:
1. Mt. Hoffmann. Great views and an enjoyable class 2 hike from May Lake that features some variety (I don't recall the exact specs on this but this is a short hike in the 4-6 mi RT/2000' gain range, as I recall). This has unusually good views because of the central location west of the crest. My dad would always take relatives and guests here (as long as they were reasonably mobile).
2. Mt. Dana. Easy walk up on unofficial trail from Tioga Pass (about 3100' of gain though). Terrific views from the second highest peak in the park.

I agree that if you are in the Park vicinity, some time just exploring the Tioga Pass-Saddlebag region is time well spent, too.

Clouds Rest is nice, but it is a rather long dayhike, even from Tenaya (although my mom was able to pull it off as her longest dayhike ever--and she was the least hiking inclined of our family).

If you or your group is into fishing, then one might have other priorities (lots of good lakes that are within dayhiking range).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

My personal valley favorite has already been mentioned: Panorama Trail up, Four-Mile Trail down. It's really a great hike!

If you're going to have a few minutes in Tuolumne, you could hardly do better than to climb Lembert Dome. There's a trail to the top, and the views of the Cathedral Range are fantastic!
AfterSeven
Topix Acquainted

Post by AfterSeven »

I was the law clerk for the Federal Judge in Yosemite Valley for many months and had quite a bit of spare time to explore. If you have done Half Dome and plan on doing it again, that tells me your group has a bit of spare energy. Here goes:

All of the following are good day hike peaks:

Mt. Dana
Mt. Hoffman
The Matterhorn *
Cathedral Peak **
Unicorn Peak **
North Peak *
Mt. Conness *
Ragged Peak *

I garuntee that any group that can get up Half Dome in a Day can do any of these peaks in a day....(A single star means it's probably scary for the average guy, and 2 stars means its definitely scary for the average guy.) Climbers guide to the High Sierra tells you all you need to know....

Also if you can do Half Dome in a Day, consider going from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley on the John Muir Trail...it's 24+ miles....but it's all 90% downhill. Park a car at the bottom and drive to the top for your day hike....it will take a full day.

Inside the Valley if you've done Half Dome you have done most of the "hiking" that's both worthy and doable from the valley flow....The Four Mile Trail or the Inspiration Point Trail being exceptions...Also a quick hike up Sentinel Dome from the Glacier Point Road is a Must ...2nd best view in Yosemite according to many, 1st being just about any view from the valley floor.

If you aren't into climbing Mountains, The Chilnualna Falls Trail is a good 1/2 day hike, and the same can be said for any hike to any lake within 3 miles of Tuolumne Meadows....You have a lot of options there.

Good luck.