Snow Pack In Sierra 158% Of Normal

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snow Pack In Sierra 158% Of Normal

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Pack In Sierra 158% Of Normal

Post by frozenintime »

fantastic :)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

13.5 feet of snow at the Tioga Entry Station: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?TES

Very stoked for a good water year!! If it keeps up, Yose's plowing is going to take a bit longer this year.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Mammoth now has the 2nd highest Jan snow total since 1969. Right now it's around 130" inches, with the highest year hitting 162" in 1993. (Only 30" more inches to go, and Jan 2017 will set the record.) Also, during the 92-93 snow year, Oct-Dec had 125" inches, whereas Oct-Dec 2016 had 114".

So ... while we've seen March miracles, May reverse winters and other odd (to human perspective) weather patterns, we've also seen good starts which peter out. However, I'm guessing this trend will continue and we could end up with over 500" inches at Mammoth for the season. This correlates with other snow/rain/reservoir data, so if we reach those targets, I'd expect the drought will be declared over.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/m ... nd-weather
Last edited by Hobbes on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

So does this mean don't plan anything above 9K elevation until August? (for the snow averse that is)
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

If this remains at 150% of normal thru May then I would expect 10,000 ft passes in northern Yosemite, 11,000 ft passes in s. yosemite and the central Sierra to have some snow on August 1 and 12,000+ passes except possibly New Army to have snow thru at least August. In 2011 the last big snow year Tunemah Lake at 11131 feet was still 95% ice covered and mostly surrounded by snow in late july. In September of that year the cross country pass between Tower Lake and Mary lake was snow covered between Tower Lake and the top of the pass. The worst thing about mid and late summer snow are the huge suncups that form, sometimes more than 3 feet deep.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The worst thing about mid and late summer snow are the huge suncups that form, sometimes more than 3 feet deep.
But the wildflowers could be outstanding this year. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

As will the Mosquitoes :(
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Mammoth just updated their report to 142" inches for January so far today. And, by the look of things on the cams, it's still coming down hard. Btw, Mammoth only has to get 20" more inches in order surpass their old record of 162" inches for the month set in Jan, 1993.

PS There's another major storm projected for Wed-Fri next week, so this year could not only easily blow by the '93 Jan record, but perhaps also close in on 200" for the month.
Last edited by Hobbes on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mammoth Visitor Center.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.